Next up: Dunstan chestnut seeds inbound (trying it again!)

Jim Boyd

Can’t stand it.

Have 60 Dunstan seeds inbound.

$58 so about $1 each including shipping.

Gonna go through the same process I went through with the sawtooths / use the same trailer as a platform, use the same pots to put the soil in.

Likely plant them in late March in the pots and if they sprout and grow, I will transplant them January 2025.

Genuinely looking forward to a project with a seed and tree that I know little about.

No rest for the weary.

Last edited:

glynr329

Can’t stand it.

Have 60 Dunstan seeds inbound.

$58 so about $1 each including shipping.

Gonna go through the same process I went through with the sawtooths / use the same trailer as a platform, use the same pots to put the soil in.

Likely plant them in late March in the pots and if they sprout and grow, I will transplant them January 2025.

Genuinely looking forward to a project with a seed and tree that I know little about.

No rest for the weary.
Let me know how they turn out. I could not get my to work.

Jim Boyd

Let me know how they turn out. I could not get my to work.
Uggghhh

Could not get them sprout, not grow or not accept tye eventual transplant into the field?

I will def keep this thread updated as I work on it.

(some would say I keep them too updated!)

aaron batson

I find them easy to grow. Here are some of mine that were kept in the refrigerator until I potted them a month back ( kept in the basement and under a light). They are small but taking off fine.

Attachments

• IMG_6956.jpeg
    IMG_6956.jpeg
    425.1 KB · Views: 54

Jim Boyd

I find them easy to grow. Here are some of mine that were kept in the refrigerator until I potted them a month back ( kept in the basement and under a light). They are small but taking off fine.

Looks great!

Did u have the seeds or did you have to buy them?

My seeds are gonna arrive Friday and I am gonna keep them in peat moss in the fridge until about mid March or so - and then I am gonna repeat a process I used over the last 12 months with sawtooths.

Stratify
Plant in early spring in 8-12” pots (I have plenty)
Watch and wait
Worry about squirrels (I had no issue)
Plants go dormant in early winter
Transplant them out on the farm in mid to late winter.

Does this sound like an acceptable process for thee Dunstan’s?

I hope to end up with 50 or so juvenile trees - some of which are already promised out.

The rest I will plant on our place.

All advice is appreciated!!!!!

buckpasser

This is one tree I’m actually interested in. I look forward to hearing about it! Good luck!

aaron batson

Looks great!

Did u have the seeds or did you have to buy them?

My seeds are gonna arrive Friday and I am gonna keep them in peat moss in the fridge until about mid March or so - and then I am gonna repeat a process I used over the last 12 months with sawtooths.

Stratify
Plant in early spring in 8-12” pots (I have plenty)
Watch and wait
Worry about squirrels (I had no issue)
Plants go dormant in early winter
Transplant them out on the farm in mid to late winter.

Does this sound like an acceptable process for thee Dunstan’s?

I hope to end up with 50 or so juvenile trees - some of which are already promised out.

The rest I will plant on our place.

All advice is appreciated!!!!!
I have hundreds of producing Chestnut trees on my place. I keep a hand full of nuts in the refridgerator every fall/winter then pot them like this about January/February. I planted 18 here and 17 are already up and growing.

I would hope that the nuts you are purchasing have been cold statified already. Go ahead and pot them now.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I sent some nuts to @Nicodemus a couple of years back. I don't know if he got any to sprout or not. Maybe Nic can check in. I hope he was able to get some to grow

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Make sure you fence them once transplanted. Bucks here absolutely destroyed numerous chestnut trees we planted.

bilgerat

Senior
Defiantly cage them off, I was gifted 3 DC trees from a fellow woody's member { cant remember his name} a few years back when I bought my property. They were about 3' tall when I planted them and the deer ate them within a few weeks, Not just the leaves, they ate the whole trees , leaves, stalk and roots!!:mad:

Jim Boyd

I have hundreds of producing Chestnut trees on my place. I keep a hand full of nuts in the refridgerator every fall/winter then pot them like this about January/February. I planted 18 here and 17 are already up and growing.

I would hope that the nuts you are purchasing have been cold statified already. Go ahead and pot them now.

They say they are stratified but I am sure I am out on a limb here.

Pot them now?

I have no great place to put them inside and no lights to put on them.

Afraid of frost for the next 3 weeks or so.

Thanks

Jim Boyd

Seeds arriving today

Gonna start them in small trays so I can bring them in if it frosts.

Otherwise will put them in big pots as soon as danger of frost is gone.

Fingers crossed, as always

Kdog

Jim, you may want to refer pack to the PM I sent you a few years back. My trees planted from seed are doing great and despite a late frost, I had one produce last year.

Jim Boyd

Jim, you may want to refer pack to the PM I sent you a few years back. My trees planted from seed are doing great and despite a late frost, I had one produce last year.

Kevin

I gotta admit I forgot that.

Watched video and it is GREAT !

Genuinely appreciated!

Kdog

Just wanted to make sure you were not wasting your $$. ;)

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Seeds arriving today

Gonna start them in small trays so I can bring them in if it frosts.

Otherwise will put them in big pots as soon as danger of frost is gone.

Fingers crossed, as always
I know you have plenty of pots, but you should try a few like my brother in law did. 2 inch pvc cut to 18 inches. It allows a good taproot for dryer areas.

Jim Boyd

Just wanted to make sure you were not wasting your $$. ;)

@Kdog Kevin -

The seeds arrived at the house but I have not seen them yet.

Jo said they came in a bag with a small amount of peat moss - but she does not see any taproots starting on any of the seeds.

I am gonna go ahead and start them this afternoon in one gallon pots. I am at farm and will just take some pots and my utility trailer back to Lexington and start the process like I did with my sawtooth trees.

Here is the question - how deep should I put the seed and how do I orient the seed in the dirt.

In your excellent video, you left the seed on top with the tap root going down. Wish I had that luxury!

Also, do I need to worry about squirrels trying to get the seeds?

Many thanks sir!!!