Next up: Dunstan chestnut seeds inbound (trying it again!)

Jim Boyd

@Bigbendgyrene noted he has been plagued with squirrels on projects like this.

I will leave the pots on the trailer and in the front driveway. That MIGHT slow the squirrels down a bit.

Jim Boyd

I know you have plenty of pots, but you should try a few like my brother in law did. 2 inch pvc cut to 18 inches. It allows a good taproot for dryer areas.

Hmmmm

Interesting!

I don’t have any 2” PVC but will watch for some scrap.

bilgerat

Senior
I just received my nuts I ordered and the instructions said plant 2 to 3” deep with tap root down and flat side down if no tap root was showing , all but one of mine had tap roots and they were coming from the point of the nut . Plan to pot them up today .

Jim Boyd

I just received my nuts I ordered and the instructions said plant 2 to 3” deep with tap root down and flat side down if no tap root was showing , all but one of mine had tap roots and they were coming from the point of the nut . Plan to pot them up today .

Nice! Hope yours come out great.

Okay - flat side down… got it and thanks!!!

Jim Boyd

Over half of the nuts float.

Should even bother planting them?

I cut one open and this is what it looks like…

IMG_4718.jpeg

Jim Boyd

IMG_4720.jpegIMG_4721.jpeg

Kdog

Jim, I recommend you follow the instructions in the video I sent you if the nuts do not currently have radicals. It is too warm now to obtain proper cold stratification. If you want to try potting some, feel free to do so and follow bilgerat's information, but I think you will be disappointed. I did direct seed some, but I did that in November. Don't worry about the ones that float. For lack of better word, that penis inside is what will become your tap root.

If you have squirrels, they will find and eat every nut, or kill every tree that has a nut still attached.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

I am not so sure about this project but they are gonna grow or they are not.

If not , I am gonna keep the pots and dirt and try to start a different tree project.

If this does not work, I will get good chestnut seeds in fall 2024 and do the stratification myself.

I’m trying to get it done……

IMG_4722.jpeg

Jim Boyd

I kept the floaters apart from the non floaters so I can see if there is a difference.

If ANY of the darn things grow.

Jim Boyd

I find them easy to grow. Here are some of mine that were kept in the refrigerator until I potted them a month back ( kept in the basement and under a light). They are small but taking off fine.

Aaron

Did all of yours already have a tap root started when you put them in the soil, sir????

Many thanks

Jim Boyd

Bilge -

Where did your nuts come from, sir - can u say??

Thanks

arrendale8105

I didn’t do the water test but I took 11 out of the fridge today I picked up last fall and put them in some pots today. Maybe they’ll sprout.

AccUbonD

I started some American chestnuts last year, but not at your numbers. What is the difference with the Dunstan vs. American? Do Deer favor them more?

Jim Boyd

I started some American chestnuts last year, but not at your numbers. What is the difference with the Dunstan vs. American? Do Deer favor them more?

I am nearly a tree idiot.

Some folks will know.

Hey - 1 tree started is more then we originally had!

It matters not the scale.

Beat of luck!!!!!

Jim Boyd

I went back to eBay see who I got them from and they were sold out

I saw some on eBay last night that were guaranteed to have tap roots but my bride balked at another project……