Next up: Dunstan chestnut seeds inbound (trying it again!)

Jim Boyd

If you have squirrels, they will find and eat every nut, or kill every tree that has a nut still attached.

I do…. And they did….

I am out in Texas for two weeks but Jo said the pots got wiped out.

I will try again next year - will be retired and will cage the entire process up.

I will repurpose the pots and dirt this year - going to TRY to propagate some pear cuttings.

4 legged bandits got me!

slow motion

Sorry to hear it Jim. I'm starting on those live oak acorns. Float testing currently.

Jim Boyd

Sorry to hear it Jim. I'm starting on those live oak acorns. Float testing currently.

It is all good, knew the risks.

I will avoid STD’s in the future by using protection!

Squirrel Total Depletion!!!!!

bilgerat

Senior
I have my potted chestnuts covered with chicken wire . It has kept the tree rats at bay so far

Kdog

I do…. And they did….

I am out in Texas for two weeks but Jo said the pots got wiped out.

I will try again next year - will be retired and will cage the entire process up.

I will repurpose the pots and dirt this year - going to TRY to propagate some pear cuttings.

4 legged bandits got me!
Hate that! I put a fake hawk out by mine and covered them with chicken wire. Walked out one day and a squirrel had gotten under the wire and killed two of my trees. Went ahead and removed the nuts from the rest of the trees, fixed the chicken wire and didn't lose anymore.

Jim Boyd

Hate that! I put a fake hawk out by mine and covered them with chicken wire. Walked out one day and a squirrel had gotten under the wire and killed two of my trees. Went ahead and removed the nuts from the rest of the trees, fixed the chicken wire and didn't lose anymore.

Imma live and learn……

Jim Boyd

Hard headed, I reckon.

50 more seeds inbound.

Gonna build a cage.

I’ll be needing to plant trees come next March.

Jim Boyd

New seeds coming Friday… time for some chicken wire and a cage!

Jim Boyd

IMG_5091.jpegIMG_5092.jpegIMG_5093.jpegIMG_5094.jpegIMG_5095.jpegIMG_5096.jpegIMG_5097.jpegOrdered 50 seeds and got 55.

Had 50 pots readied before I realized I had a few extra seeds.

Excited because some of these are already starting to break the shell open.

I am very worried about the squirrels.

I am gonna build a full cage next weekend but have them covered with a temporary solution for now.

I just hope this keeps them out short term - during this upcoming week.

Kdog

Squirrels are aggressive critters. Hope that works for you.

Jim Boyd

Squirrels are aggressive critters. Hope that works for you.

Yes they are ……

This is what I have for this week.

Willl build a solid cage this weekend that is about 3’ tall so plants can start to grow up.

Jo is gonna watch them this week but they already wiped me out once here, so I am sure the game will be on.

I did sprinkle pepper flakes pretty heavily - not sure if that will help but don’t think it will hurt.

Jo will likely know if they are digging around in there as the 2x4’s should be knocked down (I would think). They are standing on edge.

IF they can just hold on til Friday as I out in TX again.

Fingers crossed!

Jim Boyd

IMG_5143.jpegIMG_5144.jpegIMG_5146.jpegIMG_5147.jpegI am gonna put a stop to the thievery.

I hope.

Moved everything to the farm now, also.

Got a couple feral cats here, too… maybe they will stand guard a bit.

Jim Boyd

They did not get in the pots this week, so I still have all my seeds.

Jim Boyd

If they get in there, I am gonna be stunned.

I can do 50 trees a year, worry free.

I think.