Night shift.

Dub

I have worked rotating 12 hour shifts for about 14 years now. My family has adjusted to it well. It pays well. I can't imagine working nights all of the time. All I know is you just do the best you can to get through them.

Same here since 1992.

jigman29

When I worked at the cotton mill at 18 we did 12 hour shifts, 3 on 4 off then switch. Every 6th month we switched from days to nights, it was rough. Worked days for many years then got promoted to second shift supervisor 2 years ago. It wasn't bad seeing as my kids were grown. The wife hated being at home alone in the evenings so when I was offered the chance to start up a third shift 2 weeks ago I took it. Wife seems to like it but I think I prefer second more. I was in bed at midnight and up by 7-8 to do what I wanted around the house.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Wife worked 12.5 on nights as an RN, it’s tough. Inconvenient for her to get anything done.

When I worked shift work, 3-11 was was my fav. I could get a morning hunt or fishing in then head off to work.

Reactions: Dub

NugeForPres

I've been working 12 hour shifts for 29 years, and still going. You definitely have to psych yourself up, and almost get in another zone when you work. I work days, nights, Holidays, week days, & weekends. It's really unorthodox. The plus side, is I'm off 3-4 days each week, unless I have overtime.

Yes, 12 hour shifts are good if you can get your days off-or most of them. If I get stuck working 12's for weeks on end I start to hate them. But, it is what it is, and I'm grateful.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Been working swing shift for 7 years. 12 hour shifts, 2 days day shift, 2 days off, 3 night shifts, two days off and so on. Get a lot of time off, but never can get adjusted

That's why I went straight nights.

lonewolf247

Yes, 12 hour shifts are good if you can get your days off-or most of them. If I get stuck working 12's for weeks on end I start to hate them. But, it is what it is, and I'm grateful.

Yes it is what it is. The pay is good, I have good benefits, 3-4 days off a week, and next year I will get 6 weeks vacation! It's definitely a trade-off. I sorta love and hate it at the same time.:)

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Worked a year on graveyards. 7pm-6am. 4 day work week. At first I liked it until I got used to it. Then I couldn't stay awake during the day even when I was off. I also worked a second shift one time which was supposed to be 4p-1am. Ended up being 2:30pm-5am most days. Didn't take long to be burnt out from that.

ugajay

Yes it is what it is. The pay is good, I have good benefits, 3-4 days off a week, and next year I will get 6 weeks vacation! It's definitely a trade-off. I sorta love and hate it at the same time.:)
Man yeah, 6 weeks vacation!!!! That's great and congrats. You got me beat by a month haha. This time of year it's about a 6 day a week gig, with folks taking vacation around the holidays

lonewolf247

Man yeah, 6 weeks vacation!!!! That's great and congrats. You got me beat by a month haha. This time of year it's about a 6 day a week gig, with folks taking vacation around the holidays

Yep! It's been a long time coming to work up to 6 weeks vacation! The best way I can describe 12 hour shift work for me is, I live in two different modes. Work mode, and regular life mode, when I'm off. I come to work, clock in thru a gate for 12 hours, do my time, and go home.

When I work, I mostly all business, when I'm on my days off, luckily I don't have to take it home. I can focus on my hobbies to unwind.

It's been a great job, but I have to keep that separation for longevity, and not get burnt out.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I worked shifts for 15 years, until I got a promotion to a straight day job. We worked a 21 day drop schedule and we rotated every 3 weeks. I never came close to adjusting to it, but it paid good money, so I adjusted the best I could. The reason I did that was because the Wife and kids had a bad habit, they wanted to eat every day, and did not like living outdoors.

Dub

Yep! It's been a long time coming to work up to 6 weeks vacation! The best way I can describe 12 hour shift work for me is, I live in two different modes. Work mode, and regular life mode, when I'm off. I come to work, clock in thru a gate for 12 hours, do my time, and go home.

When I work, I mostly all business, when I'm on my days off, luckily I don't have to take it home. I can focus on my hobbies to unwind.

It's been a great job, but I have to keep that separation for longevity, and not get burnt out.

I hear ya.....and fully agree.

It's very important to have separation between work life & home life. The rotating shifts make enough of an impact on family life. It took me a little while to figure out that the family pays a price for my schedule, too. Once I acknowledged that I made some adjustments.

I still get my hobby time in, but do so when they are at school & work. When they are home, I try to make sure I am, too. Gives us some nice weekday afternoon, evening and morning family time together. It's the biggest reason I enjoy cooking meals for them....really anchors down that togetherness and keeps some family tradition meals of our in the daily course of our lives.

I'm 23.5 years with current employer and the vacation time is really sweet. In another 18 months I'll reach another milestone and get another 36 hours of annual vacation. If I wanted to I could schedule a month off or more. Could really make for a great hunting season....

Last edited:

lonewolf247

I hear ya.....and fully agree.

It's very important to have separation between work life & home life. The rotating shifts make enough of an impact on family life. It took me a little while to figure out that the family pays a price for my schedule, too. Once I acknowledged that I made some adjustments.

I still get my hobby time in, but do so when they are at school & work. When they are home, I try to make sure I am, too. Gives us some nice weekday afternoon, evening and morning family time together. It's the biggest reason I enjoy cooking meals for them....really anchors down that togetherness and keeps some family tradition meals of our in the daily course of our lives.

I'm 23.5 years with current employer and the vacation time is really sweet. In another 18 months I'll reach another milestone and get another 36 hours of annual vacation. If I wanted to I cold schedule a month off or more. Could really make for a great hunting season....

Sounds like you’ve got it figured out Dub!

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Worked shifts for years. Changed each month. Days, evenings, midnights w/different days off every month. Never got accustomed to it.
Been on administrative shift (days with w/ends & holidays off) for the last 11 years.
Night shifts will take a toll on you.

duckyaker90

I work what they call the rolling 12s. 2 days, off 2, 3 nights, off 2, 2 days, off 3. Then starts back with 2 nights and so on. It takes some adjusting, and a toll on family time. You also never get in a bathroom schedule. What I do like is taking 48 hours off and being off for two weeks.

NOYDB

BANNED
The only problem I had with shift work was people who think "he's off now I'll call/visit". You work 3 to 11 and went to sleep at 3 an and they thought you would be glad to talk to them at 9 am.

I solved it by calling them at 3 am and letting them know I was wide awake and wanted to chat.