Nightmare

tkeeney

There I was, minding my own business looking out the window into the back woods behind my home. All of a sudden, THERE HE IS. I spotted the deer that I've been trying to kill for 4 years, trotting a doe and headed towards me. QUICK! I scramble, grab my bow, throw some shoes on, and RUN out back. It couldn't have been more perfect, I was full draw on the biggest deer I've ever seen, and the first time I've seen him in daylight for all the years i've been hunting him. I had an easy, 20 yard shot at the buck that was looking right at me broadside. I sent the arrow... thumped him. The moment he turn and ran I noticed my red lighted nock was waaayyyy back (I think) and only penetrated halfway down the shaft. CRAP!!!!! Did my arrow hit a twig? Did he jump the string? Did I rush my shot? My heart sank as I watched him run out of sight through the trees. I was sure I gut shot him.
I did what I probably shouldn't have done, and I trailed him after only a few hours. I started trailing with the intentions of finding my arrow to see where it hit him. NO BLOOD TRAIL. Throughout this whole ordeal, I never found a drop of blood on the ground. I found my arrow some 200yrds away FINALLY. To my suprise, I didn't hit his guts. No fowl smell, no green/brown color, Just looked like good blood, darker and some light colored blood. The arrow also had some meat on the broadhead. Liver shot? Not far after tip toeing past where I found the arrow, I bumped a deer that was bedded in a thicket about 30yrds away (probably him).
I backed out. I let him lay overnight and hardly got any sleep. I searched all day the next day and never found him. Did I arrow him behind his guts? I don't think I hit his butt. I still never found any blood, not even where the deer was bedded.
As an ethical hunter, we always hate when shot deer go unfound. It makes it 10x worse when it's an animal we've been after for a long time.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
You should of not put your shoes on. You wasted time. Could of got a 10 yard shot.

I would not worry about that deer. Varnits got to eat too. They don’t care about the size or if it’s a trophy ?

This is the best deer story I’ve read yet. This year !
And just think you joined just in time to tell us this story.
amazing ?

FOLES55

Should have called a dog on this case is my thoughts.

Stay positive and maybe you will find him. Keep up the search.

tkeeney

I had a contact lined up with a dog, but i figured with all the time i spent zig zagging the woods and no blood, I would've wasted $150 on top of not finding the deer.
I'll look some more after the rut dies down

ryanh487

Call a dog. There's a tracking dog group on facebook that requires all members to volunteer their services, though you can tip them voluntarily for success. Look up "Georgia Blood Trailing Network".

tkeeney

Call a dog. There's a tracking dog group on facebook that requires all members to volunteer their services, though you can tip them voluntarily for success. Look up "Georgia Blood Trailing Network".
I'll check them out. After a few days and rain though, not sure what luck we'll have. I've been keeping an eye out for buzzards.

ryanh487

I'll check them out. After a few days and rain though, not sure what luck we'll have. I've been keeping an eye out for buzzards.

A good dog will be able to find it anyway. And pretty much any dog, if downwind, can catch his scent and lead you straight to a dead deer.

Last edited:

Garnto88

Probably should just watched from house. A gut shot deer is easiest to track for a dog. Needed to call one.

BowanaLee

I’m going with the needing a dog crowd. Most people own a dog. It doesn’t take a specially trained dog a lot of times. Even a poodle can find a deer. After a few trails some become very effective. All bow hunters should have a back up plan.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I’m going with the needing a dog crowd. Most people own a dog. It doesn’t take a specially trained dog a lot of times. Even a poodle can find a deer. After a few trails some become very effective. All bow hunters should have a back up plan.
Good advice.

BowanaLee

My beagle Charlie is old and I have to help him cross creek banks but he can still find a deer. This was a recent adventure. Ryan and I couldn't find it. I called my son and he dropped charlie off. Light blood trail because the arrow stopped up the bottom hole but Charlie took us right to it. Hes old and fat but still has the drive.0 (2).jpg resized.jpgIMG_0863.jpg resized.jpg

Last edited:

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I had one duck the string one time. Hit him in the back strap. (I did't know this at the time)
I only found a few drops of blood. I killed the same deer chasing does the next year. Still had the broad head in him.

If I have to rush a shot, I just don't take it. I hate the agony of wounding one and loosing it. I feel bad for days. I never regret letting one walk if the shot is rushed. It's just not worth the gut wrenching feeling. I hope you find him. I'm a little surprised no one has commented on the running from the house to take a shot at a trophy. While it may be legal, I dont think I could enjoy the result as much as actually hunting the deer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We've found a couple of deer and yotes with our thundering herd of wiener dogs.

Hillbilly stalker

My buddy has a wired haired wiener dog that is a deer tracking fool. That dog has the worst attitude of any dog I been around. But he will find your deer, bite him in the ham and you have to drag the deer out with him attached. He won't let go.

plumber_1969

My beagle Charlie is old and I have to help him cross creek banks but he can still find a deer. This was a recent adventure. Ryan and I couldn't find it. I called my son and he dropped charlie off. Light blood trail because the arrow stopped up the bottom hole but Charlie took us right to it. Hes old and fat but still has the drive.View attachment 948545View attachment 948546

Bowana, you or the dog the one that's old and fat???