Nikon vs. Vortex

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Thinking about a new scope. Can't narrow it down. What you fellas think?

Powerline

I just ordered a Vortex Viper HST 6x24x50, I have both and I think it smokes the Nikon. That Vortex is nice in my opinion.

I own somewhere around 50 scopes mounted on rifles, most on big game rifles. I like Leupold almost to a fault (about 20 at this time) but also own Nikon, Vortex, Burris, Minox, Redfield, Sig Sauer, Weaver and Zeiss.

Of the two you mentioned, I'd go with Vortex, myself, starting with the Diamoack HP(not bashing Nikon). I would also strongly recommend that you look at the new Sig Sauer scopes as well. I own two Whiskey 3 scopes and a Whiskey 5 and could not be more happy with their quality and value.

You did not mention a price range, but if a Leupold VX-R is within reach GRAB ONE!

JWF III

To start off with, you can take this for exactly what you paid for it... Admittingly, I’ve never looked through a Vortex scope, I guess I should. I used to drink the Leopold koolaid, until I got a “beat around” Savage combo with the cheap Nikon scope. I can see better at twilight hours, through that scope, than I can with my naked eye. Now, if I’m spending over $50 on a scope, it’s a Nikon.

Wyman

lonewolf247

What’s your budget, and how do you plan to use the scope? How far are you average shots, and is low light transmission important to you ? Of your choices, I’d lean really hard towards the Vortex. I honestly can’t say anything good to support the Nikon, my experience has not been good.

I’d go with Vortex, Leupold, Zeiss, or Meopta. Meopta is on sale at EuroOptic.

gma1320

What’s your budget, and how do you plan to use the scope? How far are you average shots, and is low light transmission important to you ? Of your choices, I’d lean really hard towards the Vortex. I honestly can’t say anything good to support the Nikon, my experience has not been good.

I’d go with Vortex, Leupold, Zeiss, or Meopta. Meopta is on sale at EuroOptic.
My budget is between $250-$300. Low light transmission is important due to hunting thick woods and bottoms.

tree cutter 08

I'd go with Leupold. I know you didn't mention one but I'm not a fan of China made stuff. With that said I've never looked through a vortex and to be honest I have no interest in them.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I'd go with Leupold. I know you didn't mention one but I'm not a fan of China made stuff. With that said I've never looked through a vortex and to be honest I have no interest in them.
  • Razor HD scopes are manufactured in Japan
  • Vipers are made in Philippines
  • Diamondbacks are made in Philippines made as well
  • Crossfire scopes are produced in China

My budget is between $250-$300. Low light transmission is important due to hunting thick woods and bottoms.

Look hard at the Sig Sauer Whiskey 3. Excellent scopes in that price range. I think you can even get one with an illuminated reticle at that price.

tree cutter 08

• Razor HD scopes are manufactured in Japan
  • Vipers are made in Philippines
  • Diamondbacks are made in Philippines made as well
  • Crossfire scopes are produced in China
My bad, I just seen the made in China on there lowest end scope package while back and assumed all there products were made in china. I'm just not a fan of overseas products.

Reactions: Dub

gma1320

Look hard at the Sig Sauer Whiskey 3. Excellent scopes in that price range. I think you can even get one with an illuminated reticle at that price.
Thank you I will check into that.

gma1320

I have used a rifle and a slug gun with the nikon's and they were not bad. My hunting partner has a vortex on one of his and it is very clear. He has started switching all of his to vortex.

gma1320

I would prefer American made, didn't realize the others were imports.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
My bad, I just seen the made in China on there lowest end scope package while back and assumed all there products were made in china. I'm just not a fan of overseas products.

Leupold is USA... I do think they bring some of their glass in from Europe though...

all the metal works are done here. That is a good thing

Reactions: Dub

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would prefer American made, didn't realize the others were imports.

Leupold is USA as well as Redfield, except for Redfields cheapest line, which is China.

lonewolf247

I’ve seen Bushnell Elite 4500 in the $250-300 range. The Sig Sauer scopes mentioned are probably good too. If you want to bump up to $400, you could probably just get into a decent Leupold at that price. I’m not a big fan of their lowest price offerings. Also, EuroOptic has the Meopta Meopro 3-9x50 on sale at that price. That would probably be my choice for your needs, if I were searching.