Nitro shell issue

Gaswamp

"Anyone ever had a misfire or problem with a shell before. Sqeezed the trigger on my final bird last Sat in my 16ga and instead of a shotgun going off sounded like a 22 short.

only thing I can think of somehow shell got some moisture inside around the powder.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Any number of causes, Joe. Powder migration beyond wad, no powder dropped in hull when made, WD-40 used to wipe down brass, and as you note, wet powder. I've read accounts of the above happening to the unlucky. Did the wad leave the hull?

NUTT

Yep! 3 straight clicks on different Winchester longbeards last Saturday from my 835. Dented all 3 shells but didn't go off!

WFL

Yep! 3 straight clicks on different Winchester longbeards last Saturday from my 835. Dented all 3 shells but didn't go off!

I seen this more and more with that set up. I would like to find one of them to look at to see. I know the Winchester shells in the past has to have more head space so looks like they should go off. Just odd that it is the 835 every time. :huh:

01Foreman400

Staff member
"Anyone ever had a misfire or problem with a shell before. Sqeezed the trigger on my final bird last Sat in my 16ga and instead of a shotgun going off sounded like a 22 short.

only thing I can think of somehow shell got some moisture inside around the powder.

Hate to hear that Joe! Time to start loading your own and oversee your own quality control. :cool:

Gaswamp

Any number of causes, Joe. Powder migration beyond wad, no powder dropped in hull when made, WD-40 used to wipe down brass, and as you note, wet powder. I've read accounts of the above happening to the unlucky. Did the wad leave the hull?

yes wad left the hull....barrel was extra dirty

GLS

I was talking to an old turkey hunting buddy who often hunts with a flinter. Years ago, he pulled the trigger with the bird at 30 steps and the gun made a lot of smoke, no boom, but a long "swooosh" sound with the shot dribbling out the end of the muzzle. He said the only good thing about the event was watching the turkey try to run in six different directions at one time.

PS: Consider sending the rest of the box back to Nitro and ask them to check them out.
Gil

M Sharpe

Maybe they are closing the bolt hard enough.... heard that could be an issue. Seen it happening in autoloaders too. Been shooting them for three years without a problem in my 935 and 930. But, hevi-shot taught me a valuable lesson... buy all that you can afford with the same lot numbers!!!!

Gaswamp

Hate to hear that Joe! Time to start loading your own and oversee your own quality control. :cool:

Darrell, I wasn't going to say it to Joe, but that's what I was thinking, too. Gil
;)

The 12ga pretty much any shell I have is suitable for the way I hunt. With the 20ga been real happy with Fed hvwt 7's. Now reloading the 16 would give me more options.

Toddmann

I agree & went this route a few years ago for 16ga, 28ga & .410.

Gaswamp

I was talking to an old turkey hunting buddy who often hunts with a flinter. Years ago, he pulled the trigger with the bird at 30 steps and the gun made a lot of smoke, no boom, but a long "swooosh" sound with the shot dribbling out the end of the muzzle. He said the only good thing about the event was watching the turkey try to run in six different directions at one time.

PS: Consider sending the rest of the box back to Nitro and ask them to check them out.
Gil

bought a box of 25 about 3 years ago. Probably shot half of the box. First time this has happened

Steve Roberts

Dang Joe hate to here that!!! Load yourself some TSS 9"s and put down the tube of that 16ga, and you want shoot anything else!!!

GLS

Joe, weigh the remaining shells on a good digital scale and see if there are any 15 or more grains lighter. Gil

Gaswamp

Joe, weigh the remaining shells on a good digital scale and see if there are any 15 or more grains lighter. Gil

nope

Gaswamp

well mustve been moisture because I had 6 shells go boom this year....think I will look at trying some Apex for next year though