NJ Bear in Park Charges & Knocks Hiker Down & Mauls Dog

BornToHuntAndFish

Sounds like New Jersey needs to add more bear hunting to their big game wildlife management practices. Maybe this Mama bear had her 3 cubs in the area & was just furiously trying to protect them.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/06/authorities_search_for_bear_th.html

Authorities search for bear that charged at hiker, mauled dog in Ringwood park

Friday, June 25, 2010

RINGWOOD — New Jersey wildlife authorities set up traps today to catch a female bear responsible for knocking down a West Milford man and seriously mauling his dog on a Ringwood State Park hiking trail Thursday morning.

The man was not seriously injured, but his dog was hospitalized after the incident that unfolded at about 9:30 a.m. on a trial at the west end of the 4,044-acre state park. The man, who was not identified by authorities, was walking his dog at the time, said Pat Carr, a supervising biologist for the state Division of Fish and Wildlife.

"We don’t have any explanation now why they got into this interaction. We have reports of bears using that trail. There may be berries ripening along that trial. This female has been seen there before," he said.

State Park Police reports, said Carr, indicate the hiker came upon the bear as he was walking down the trail and that the bear suddenly charged, knocking the man over.

"The man kicked the bear off him. The dog got involved and the bear mauled the dog," he added.

The hiker suffered scratches and bruises, but bear did not appear to have inflicted any wound with its claws or teeth. His dog, although injured, is expected to survive.

The bear is a female bruin with three cubs, and it has been previously seen in the area, said Carr. The state has placed traps and plans to euthanized the bear if it is caught because it attacked a human, he said. The cubs, born in January, will be evaluated by biologists to determine if they are big enough to survive on their own and will not need to be brought to a rehabilitation shelter.

Resica

More bear hunting? I believe their last governor banned all bear hunting. They haven't had a season in quite some time.

NJ is the most backwards state in the US in terms of bear hunting. What a bunch of PETA whining guppies.

CallieB

"The cubs, born in January, will be evaluated by biologists to determine if they are big enough to survive on their own and will not need to be brought to a rehabilitation shelter."

What the heck is a rehabilitation shelter? Are they gonna get counseling?

jason bales

Banned
I hate to see people get hurt but thay are getting what they voted for. Seems like I seen a poll where they didnt want to use hunting to control them and this is what happens when you dont use hunting as a tool to control wild animal populations. I dont see how you could relocate them you could almost skip a rock across the state.

johnweaver

And after they "relocate" this bear, or any other neusence bear, the next person that walks by will get slammed. Check out the grizzle story outside of Yellowstone Park. That guy had just gone out for a walk from his house.

River Rambler

And after they "relocate" this bear, or any other neusence bear, the next person that walks by will get slammed. Check out the grizzle story outside of Yellowstone Park. That guy had just gone out for a walk from his house.

Haha. Another overblown reaction. The bear was a female with cubs....it's bound to happen if you cross paths. She didn't try to kill the guy...or the dog...and she most certainly could have.

I have a rug in my living room and I'm looking to get one with a bow this year. But to say anyone is to blame for this is ridiculous. It could happen anywhere. The fact it was, where it was, makes it an unfortunate crossing of paths.

Tim1980

Hey Gatorb I thru-hiked in 01' and your right NJ is loaded with bears. At one time they had the highest population per land area, or some crazy statistic like that. I did a night hike on a full moon up there and had 2 cubs following us for a while. The moma was behind them and growling the whole time. It was a little freaky. Finally scared them off by throwing rocks and yelling.

NJ has a whole history of anti-gun & anti-hunting legislation. It's one of the most densly populated states in the nation, but the liberal population up there just can't fathom that hunting is part of population control for animals. They would rather ignore the problem that human encroachment on animal habitat has brought them, then actually allow a bear season. If someone, God forbid, ever got killed by a bear, they would just raise heck with their local authorities to "get this under control". As jason bales said, they get what they voted for. And I speak from experience--I've lived there for quite some time.

WTM45

NJ has over 750,000 acres of public land open to deer hunting.
Over 57,000 deer were taken in the 09-10 season.

Over 55,000 birds were stocked.

Just because they do not have a black bear season, like many other states, does not equate to a state being anti-hunting or lacking in hunting opportunities.

This is a simple case of a person in the wrong place at the wrong time. The bear was exactly where it was supposed to be.
It can happen in a state with a bear population that supports a bear hunting season just as easily.

jason bales

Banned
NJ has over 750,000 acres of public land open to deer hunting.
Over 57,000 deer were taken in the 09-10 season.

Over 55,000 birds were stocked.

Just because they do not have a black bear season, like many other states, does not equate to a state being anti-hunting or lacking in hunting opportunities.

This is a simple case of a person in the wrong place at the wrong time. The bear was exactly where it was supposed to be.
It can happen in a state with a bear population that supports a bear hunting season just as easily.

I think you need to read the part where it says
"there were 1,261 black bear incidents between January 1 and June 20 this year"
http://www.ammoland.com/2010/07/22/new-jersey-bear-hunt-approved/

WTM45

I think you need to read the part where it says
"there were 1,261 black bear incidents between January 1 and June 20 this year"
http://www.ammoland.com/2010/07/22/new-jersey-bear-hunt-approved/

Well, they do not define "incident" so purely seeing a bear could be an "incident" I'm afraid.
I have an "incident" in my yard at least four to five times a month. Wish we would get a bear season. Maybe in a few more years....

But, it is a good thing that the powers that be in NJ have made the determination to open a hunt. That's proper game management at work!:clap:

jason bales

Banned
Well, they do not define "incident" so purely seeing a bear could be an "incident" I'm afraid.
I have an "incident" in my yard at least four to five times a month. Wish we would get a bear season. Maybe in a few more years....

But, it is a good thing that the powers that be in NJ have made the determination to open a hunt. That's proper game management at work!:clap:

I believe what your reffering to is a sighting maybe im wrong. Last I checked your right they dont define everyword for you in a article. I hope you do get a bear season before the sighting turn into incidents animals are supposed to fear us not hang out in our yards.