No One Has Ever Crossed Antarctica Alone. Two Men Are Trying Right Now.

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
Something worth reading in the NYT’s.

PUNTA ARENAS, Chile — A weather window opened on Halloween morning, the typical stiff winds and polar fog relenting, and the flight to Antarctica was cleared for takeoff.

For nearly a week, Colin O’Brady, a 33-year-old American adventure athlete, and British Army Captain Louis Rudd, 49, had been waiting in Punta Arenas, Chile, on the Strait of Magellan, near the shattered end of the South American continent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/11/sports/antarctica-race.html

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Very interesting! I hope they are both successful, no matter which finishes first.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I hope they both make it!!!! I did my E.C.W.A.C.S. training by climbing the east slope of Mount Vinson in early June one year. I had NO IDEA a human could get that cold and live. My eye balls are still messed up. Our reward for surviving was several months hanging out down there with NOTHING to do till the weather got good enough for a hop out'a there. Did achieve one accolade while there... I became a member of their 300 Club. After spending the.. well it was OFFICIALLY night at Club 90 South drink'n and watching old movies we got in the sauna set at 200 degs. and then ran nakid (except for shoes and a mask over my mouth and nose) around the "pole" while it was -103 degs. not counting wind chill. Anyone remember the "Here's Your Sign" joke? Well I earned mine!

Howard Roark

Retired Moderator
I hope they both make it!!!! I did my E.C.W.A.C.S. training by climbing the east slope of Mount Vinson in early June one year. I had NO IDEA a human could get that cold and live. My eye balls are still messed up. Our reward for surviving was several months hanging out down there with NOTHING to do till the weather got good enough for a hop out'a there. Did achieve one accolade while there... I became a member of their 300 Club. After spending the.. well it was OFFICIALLY night at Club 90 South drink'n and watching old movies we got in the sauna set at 200 degs. and then ran nakid (except for shoes and a mask over my mouth and nose) around the "pole" while it was -103 degs. not counting wind chill. Anyone remember the "Here's Your Sign" joke? Well I earned mine!

I am just thankful there are no photos.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I am just thankful there are no photos.
OH, there are, but they've been buried DEEEEEEP!!!!! And will NEVER see the light of day, did I mention that it was MINUS 103 DEGREES?!?! Just glad that there was nothing like a "dumb phone" and the net was only known to a few back then.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
OH, there are, but they've been buried DEEEEEEP!!!!! And will NEVER see the light of day, did I mention that it was MINUS 103 DEGREES?!?! Just glad that there was nothing like a "dumb phone" and the net was only known to a few back then.

Prolly looked like a female!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It wern't purdy. I'm reminded of have'n to holler snake.

Patriot44

Banned
The biggest item in my bucket list is to cross the Drake Passage into Antarctica and Kayak with penguins. It's going to cost me 20grand so its going to be a while yet.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
The biggest item in my bucket list is to cross the Drake Passage into Antarctica and Kayak with penguins. It's going to cost me 20grand so its going to be a while yet.
Add spending some time on the Patagonian Glaciers while your that far down and that cold, it'll be worth it.

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
Darwin encountered naked savages at the tip of Chile by the Drake passage....they had “evolved” to survive there. Interesting read.