No turkey, but did bring food home.

Hillbilly stalker

I was just fixen to ask y’all if this was chicken/hen if the woods. I found it today out fooling with my dog,

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
And folks say eating swamp cabbage is strange... ??

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
That a type of wild mushroom? Never heard of it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That a type of wild mushroom? Never heard of it.
They're delicious. Laetiporus cincinnatus, white-bottom chicken of the woods. I've found them big as a dishpan. Never found one in the spring here, though.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I was just fixen to ask y’all if this was chicken/hen if the woods. I found it today out fooling with my dog,
Yep. That looks like the best kind with the white pore surface, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, are they the Cincinatus ? I read up a little , but trust a trained eye better. Sorry , just seen post #8, thanks.
Yep, the cincinnatus comes up out of the ground like that off of tree roots and has white pores, the sulphureus grows directly on trees or logs and has yellow pores.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
And folks say eating swamp cabbage is strange... ??

I love swamp cabbage. I haven`t gathered nor eaten any since the late 1970s, but that was some good stuff.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Nic, we'll be rolling in the chants soon--early June depending on rain. Gil

Capt Quirk

That must be a bad fungus, if ya needed a knife and a gun ?

As for swamp cabbage, I'm not familiar with it. I did eat a bunch of palm hearts though, often straight out of the tree.

Big7

The Oracle
I'd like to see if my Dachshund could be trained to find edible shrooms. I'd never eat one unless I was with someone that knows edible. Although I've seen dozens of pics and read all the threads, I'm pretty sure I could recognize some. But- since some are poisonous, I wouldn't try it unless someone off of GON gave the green light.

In the OP's starter and the rest of the post' with pictures in this thread, they look very good and and not molested in any way. I buy store bought in different species. I love them sauteed, grilled and in soups and stews. Most of the mushrooms I buy will take on the flavors of whatever they are cooked with. Congrats on a good find ! ?

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I don't know how one would train the dog to detect the difference. Learn a few and be comfortable with the few you can visually ID. I could be content with just chanterelles. Where a dog's scenting ability would be useful would be to detect truffles in pecan groves. You can obtain the pecan truffle oil online. Scent free wash cloths, left in the sun after washing, are scented with a drop or two of the oil. The dog is rewarded if it picks up the scented one and ignores the unscented ones. The cloths are rolled up identical so its not a visual cue. Some trainers use the click method of reward. My dogs would want food. Lots of food. Gil