No Weapons Allowed

Jester896

Senior Clown
Remember that if you go into NC or SC or most other states and carry into a place with the sign and get caught, you will permanently lose your concealed carry permit and likely go to jail.

I think in SC when asked by LEO for ID you should also hand them your CWP. Don't know about NC.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Isn't the 1st rule of safe gun handling no alcohol

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I think in SC when asked by LEO for ID you should also hand them your CWP. Don't know about NC.
Yep, along with most other states, we're a "must inform" state. We can ride down the road and talk on our phone though. :bounce:

280 Man

Banned

Yes, in SC if you are pulled over you need to inform the officer that you are carrying and then show CWP. As well as if you were to be asked out in public for your ID you need to inform the officer that you are carrying and then present your CWP if asked.

Also in SC any concealed carrier can carry in a place that serves alcohol, unless proper signage is posted against such, but carrier cannot drink.

In SC if "you" are caught carrying in a unauthorized place you can be fined and loose your permit.

SC has reciprocity with Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio,Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia(21 years of age and older) and Wyoming.

transfixer

Pretty sure in GA if you are carrying, you are illegal if you are drinking. That said, a no guns sign doesn't mean it is against the law to carry a gun there, it means the owner doesn't welcome gun carriers, and can ask you to leave, and if you don't, it's trespassing. A restaurant owner can't make a criminal law by putting a sticker on his window.

The way I've understood it is a weapons permit allows you to legally carry in an establishment that serves alcohol, but you aren't supposed to drink said alcohol while carrying, now I don't know how that applies to open carrying ? But it should be the same thing, open or concealed. I would never open carry anyway, even if I were an open carry proponent, which I'm not, I wouldn't do so in a bar,

I do know back in the day when I frequented many a bar, a couple of those bars had policies against guns on your person if it was visible, in those cases they would say give your pistol to the bartender and he'll put it behind the bar, and you can get it back when you leave, if you aren't too drunk ! lol

Guns and alcohol don't mix ,, most people know that

I believe if someone has a permit they should be able to carry. But if the courts make a bakery serve those who they don’t want to for whatever reason then someone else shouldn’t be able to refuse service to someone that has a different opinion of whether someone can carry or not.

While i do agree with the premis that a private business should serve who they want and suffer the consequences, there is a big difference here. Many states have laws that forbid discrimination based on, among other factors, sexual orientation. As such, gay people are a protected class. I don't see gun owners or people with different opinions ever being a protected class.

JohnnyWalker

The owner of the resturant seems to be making a distinction between the ownership status of the building they are in.
I think that, like your home, it doesn't make any difference. If you are in your apartment, you have the same rights to privacy, entry and regress, whether you rent or own with the only exception being what is in a lease. Since it is a business then the only thing that may require a courts decision as to the legality of restricting some people from carrying while allowing others to carry.

DrK

Not sure if this holds true in Georgia but I remember clearly when I took my CWP class in Florida the instructor emphasized that it is illegal to carry a gun in a bar or place the serves liquor. It stuck in my mind because his example was Chili's. He said you can go and carry in the restaurant section but it is illegal to go to the bar section if you have a gun with you.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I don't understand why it is necessary to harp on the fact that he told me that I could still carry in his place....I was irrelevant up to the point of this conversation that I carried and probably will be afterwards.

What I think is relevant is that someone who isn't necessarily anti-gun feels that they need to put up a sign like this to keep people that open carry from openly drinking and displaying their firearm and making others uncomfortable...maybe he is trying to start a knew leaf in his new place...He didn't give me any other reason why the put it there than that. I do not know if it has anything to do with the new property ownership and what their insurance company requires. The only reason he gave me was people open carrying and drinking.

I'm surprised I even noticed the sign.

champ

Historically, saloon's generally ask the frontiersmen to turn their sidearms in at the door; I can understand that. Gambling & drankin have never been a great combo.

js415

In response to post #48.....

In Georgia there is no law that regulates the carrying of a firearm and drinking.

You are perfectly legal to have a drink, or two, or five hundred, while carrying, and you are not breaking any laws.

Not very smart, but not illegal.

There are laws against discharging a firearm while intoxicated, but not carrying while intoxicated.

These can be found in OCGA 16-11-126 through 16-11-130.

Maybe tomorrow I can find the exact code section about discharging....

Jerry

LTZ25

In response to post #48.....

In Georgia there is no law that regulates the carrying of a firearm and drinking.

You are perfectly legal to have a drink, or two, or five hundred, while carrying, and you are not breaking any laws.

Not very smart, but not illegal.

There are laws against discharging a firearm while intoxicated, but not carrying while intoxicated.

These can be found in OCGA 16-11-126 through 16-11-130.

Maybe tomorrow I can find the exact code section about discharging....

Jerry
Thanks , do you have to give the cop your I D if asked just because he wants to see it if you are carrying a weapon or not ?

js415

O.C.G.A. 16-11-137

(b)A person carrying a weapon shall not be subject to detention for the sole purpose of
investigating
whether such person has a weapons carry license.

Something I would keep in mind though. Suppose an officer has a valid reason to believe you are carrying without a license, even though he might be wrong.

Suppose some "busybody" just ran and told him you were waiving it around and acting a fool, threatening to shoot up the place....

You decide how you want to handle interactions with officers, but purely speaking, an officer can not stop and demand to see your license, just because he sees you carrying a firearm.

Jerry

NOYDB

BANNED
Suppose some "busybody" just ran and told him you were waiving it around and acting a fool, threatening to shoot up the place....

I don't hang with such people. I don't make LEO's nervous by my presence. I Don't concern myself with things that will never have happen to me. Those that do are no loss to the world.

js415

I don't hang with such people. I don't make LEO's nervous by my presence. I Don't concern myself with things that will never have happen to me. Those that do are no loss to the world.

I agree, but just because you "don't hang with such people", does not mean that some person that you have never met, and would not want to hang with, is not beyond telling a lie about you.

The reason for the response was to enlighten the fellow asking the question about the difference between what the law says, and what an officer may or may not be able to articulate, as to why he stopped you.

I've had things happen to me, that I never thought would. So it is possible that something you never thought about can happen.

I'm not sure I would consider folks that ask questions and are concerned about possible scenarios as people that are "no loss to the world".

Jerry