Non Drinking Clubs

Thread starter #1
I understand the reasons behind wanting a Non Drinknig Club pretty much but what I don't understand is how you'll be able to adress that when taking on members. For example, I want to join your club and tell you that I don't drink. But I really do and keep it hid. Do y'all just wait for the perpetrators to slip up?

Big7

I had to give it up because of an esophagus surgery that almost killed me and I coded 3 times. Everyday is precious to me.

Before that I'd drink my fair share, and someone else's too..

I rabbit hunted with a friend at his "Christian Club". They had a rule book about a foot thick. They had a large tract, plenty of small game, deer, hog and Turkey.

They were always needing members because of the strict, first strike no drinking rule.

Just Sayin'

Sixes

I don't understand the need for a non drinking rule. If someone is a drunk and disruptive, kick them out. If they are having drink to unwind from a long week or a cold beer after a hot evening hunt, why should anyone care what an adult is legally drinking.

Judging someone for having a drink is a lot worse to me than someone actually having a drink.

dfhooked

Just hunt with like minded individuals. It always works best with folks that get along. If a club is non drinking then that’s what they are shooting for and I highly doubt a person who likes a cold drink would want to join anyways. It’s pretty simple, if you like to have a drink don’t contact said non drinking club. I’ve got no issues with either side as long as people get along, there’s too much other stuff to stress about than a hunting club, that should be your getaway and enjoyment. Just find one that works for you.

GSUQUAD

I don’t drink, but if I were in a club I’d like for it to be all sloppy drunks I think. Correction, weekend only sloppy drunks. Less pressure on the deer if no one made the morning hunt. If I were lucky they’d drink through the day enough to miss the evening hunt too. Maybe I should start a club?
Couple guys in my club don't make it out after a night of drinking. They aren't obnoxious, and they don't wake up for a morning hunt. I don't mind one bit!

Lilly001

It's like the no cussing club they recruited me for.
I said I would only join if they had an open bar.

I don't understand the need for a non drinking rule. If someone is a drunk and disruptive, kick them out. If they are having drink to unwind from a long week or a cold beer after a hot evening hunt, why should anyone care what an adult is legally drinking.

Judging someone for having a drink is a lot worse to me than someone actually having a drink.
I believe the problem is when you have the "I am not drunk guy" and "I can handle my liquor", and it is not a problem, until it's a BIG problem. A couple times I have seen the "I am a responsible drinker guy" have a negligent discharge, or some other dangerous event. When I got to hunt, I am there to strictly hunt, do I drink yes, but on special occasions. Not hating on anyone, but I also have seen the ugly side and completely understand a non drinking club.

Whatever the flavor of your club, focus on recruiting like-minded members. This solves most of it. Secondly, be clear what you expect. Put it in writing and make them sign. A good understanding makes for good friends. Here are examples copied from my club rules that address alcohol. Every member signs the rules.
  • CAMP ATMOSPHERE: Camp is the first thing people see when visiting. Keep it clean at all times. Store trash out of site. Take it with you when leaving. This is a family environment. Be considerate of those who don't drink. Leave no trace of alcoholic beverages around camp.
  • LAWS & SAFETY: Abide by hunting and fishing regulations. Report game violations immediately to Jerry and to local game warden. Concealing a game violation at the lease, committed by you or someone else, will result in forfeiture of membership. Never drink alcohol before a hunt that day – it is grounds for immediate forfeiture of membership.
  • ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: I agree to join/renew on these terms and understand that rule violation may result in membership forfeiture without a refund.

Last edited: