Non Drinking Clubs

I understand the reasons behind wanting a Non Drinknig Club pretty much but what I don't understand is how you'll be able to adress that when taking on members. For example, I want to join your club and tell you that I don't drink. But I really do and keep it hid. Do y'all just wait for the perpetrators to slip up?

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
If I can't go to a club and drink responsibly then I'll go to another one. No problem!
If anybody drinkin irresponsibly and rude and reckless at my club then they can go to another one.

SC Hunter

If the club wants to tell me what I can and can't drink while I'm there that probably isn't the club for me. I can have a few beers or a few mixed drinks and still be perfectly responsible.

Big7

The Oracle
I had to give it up because of an esophagus surgery that almost killed me and I coded 3 times. Everyday is precious to me.

Before that I'd drink my fair share, and someone else's too..

I rabbit hunted with a friend at his "Christian Club". They had a rule book about a foot thick. They had a large tract, plenty of small game, deer, hog and Turkey.

They were always needing members because of the strict, first strike no drinking rule.

Just Sayin'

Sixes

I don't understand the need for a non drinking rule. If someone is a drunk and disruptive, kick them out. If they are having drink to unwind from a long week or a cold beer after a hot evening hunt, why should anyone care what an adult is legally drinking.

Judging someone for having a drink is a lot worse to me than someone actually having a drink.

buckpasser

I don’t drink, but if I were in a club I’d like for it to be all sloppy drunks I think. Correction, weekend only sloppy drunks. Less pressure on the deer if no one made the morning hunt. If I were lucky they’d drink through the day enough to miss the evening hunt too. Maybe I should start a club?

dfhooked

Just hunt with like minded individuals. It always works best with folks that get along. If a club is non drinking then that’s what they are shooting for and I highly doubt a person who likes a cold drink would want to join anyways. It’s pretty simple, if you like to have a drink don’t contact said non drinking club. I’ve got no issues with either side as long as people get along, there’s too much other stuff to stress about than a hunting club, that should be your getaway and enjoyment. Just find one that works for you.

specialk

Never heard of such a thing!

Lilly001

It's like the no cussing club they recruited me for.
I said I would only join if they had an open bar.

CrossCentered

I don't understand the need for a non drinking rule. If someone is a drunk and disruptive, kick them out. If they are having drink to unwind from a long week or a cold beer after a hot evening hunt, why should anyone care what an adult is legally drinking.

Judging someone for having a drink is a lot worse to me than someone actually having a drink.
I believe the problem is when you have the "I am not drunk guy" and "I can handle my liquor", and it is not a problem, until it's a BIG problem. A couple times I have seen the "I am a responsible drinker guy" have a negligent discharge, or some other dangerous event. When I got to hunt, I am there to strictly hunt, do I drink yes, but on special occasions. Not hating on anyone, but I also have seen the ugly side and completely understand a non drinking club.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I was looking for a deer club lease a few years ago, I found a club called “Drunken high capacity Idiot Deer Shooters”. I decided not to join that club. To be a member you had do a keg stand and ten shots of fireball. Then, Hit a target at 200 yards. I wrecked my truck on the way home from the interview.

GottaGetOutdoors

Whatever the flavor of your club, focus on recruiting like-minded members. This solves most of it. Secondly, be clear what you expect. Put it in writing and make them sign. A good understanding makes for good friends. Here are examples copied from my club rules that address alcohol. Every member signs the rules.
  • CAMP ATMOSPHERE: Camp is the first thing people see when visiting. Keep it clean at all times. Store trash out of site. Take it with you when leaving. This is a family environment. Be considerate of those who don't drink. Leave no trace of alcoholic beverages around camp.
  • LAWS & SAFETY: Abide by hunting and fishing regulations. Report game violations immediately to Jerry and to local game warden. Concealing a game violation at the lease, committed by you or someone else, will result in forfeiture of membership. Never drink alcohol before a hunt that day – it is grounds for immediate forfeiture of membership.
  • ACKNOWLEDGEMENT: I agree to join/renew on these terms and understand that rule violation may result in membership forfeiture without a refund.

Last edited:

SC Hunter

I was looking for a deer club lease a few years ago, I found a club called “Drunken high capacity Idiot Deer Shooters”. I decided not to join that club. To be a member you had do a keg stand and ten shots of fireball. Then, Hit a target at 200 yards. I wrecked my truck on the way home from the interview.
You lost me at fireball! I was all in until you brought up fireball.