Normal behavior in a wild pig?

Baroque Brass

I’ve never hunted hogs, only watched videos so I don’t know what would be considered “normal behavior”. A friend said something was tearing up a food plot and he thought it might be hogs, which is something he doesn’t want. I drove into the food plot after dark and turned to illuminate the field and I could see what I believed to be a pig. It never looked up and showed no concern so I began driving toward it. Again it showed no concern and I was probably about 20 feet away before it trotted off. It didn’t bolt, just trotted to the edge of the woods. Not at all what I would have expected. Forgot to add, without a doubt it was a hog.

Last edited:

bany

Good possibility. They can spook super easy or care less sometimes.

sghoghunter

No such thing as normal behavior,their just like people. One day they will act right then the total opposite the next hour

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
As others have said , every one of them act different at different times , I’ve got a feeder at my hunting lease for them and a couple months ago I was gonna drive to feeder to put out some sour corn to and a trail cam and hunt it the next day , and when I came around corner the feeder had about 10 pigs , and the just continue to eat with my headlights on them , the next night I was in my stand near feeder and same bunch of hogs came out , I turned on my green light that they are supposed to not be able to see , and they scatter like a covey of quail !

I think what you saw was a young, dumb hog. As with any other animal turned out by mama at a young age, that hog simply has no real knowledge of what to fear in life.

That will change as he (she) has a bit more experience around predators, especially those of the human variety.

There's no smarter huntable land animal in North America than a mature hog. A mature hog is several notches up from a mature deer, bear or even your pet dog or ?, brain wise.

Ruger roo

In my experience hogs are pretty brave at night. Had a few instances where I walked within a few feet of some and they could care less I was there.

Baroque Brass

The land owner would have certainly preferred that I let the air out of the hog but the only weapon I had was an LCP .380. Hardly adequate for a hog. The landowner has been back several times at night but no luck so far.

greg_n_clayton

What has been said. They are good at adapting to different situations ! And feel less....threatened at night !