North Carolina Out-of-State Licenses for Georgia Residents

lampern

In state residents vote.

Out of state residents do not vote.

Its why politicians are afraid of making license increases except on non residents

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Wildlife doesn't belong to the state. It is held in use for the public in accordance with the public trust doctrine found in common law. This is a concept that is long standing prior to the Constitution's ratification. The Constitution doesn't lay out a right to wildlife only for residents of a state where the wildlife is found in. Wildlife roams. The states merely have authority to manage wildlife within its boundaries. This still has to occur in accordance with the interstate commerce clause.
I didn't say it belonged to the state, I said it belonged to the people of the state. In Georgia wildlife belongs to the people of the state and is held in trust for their benefit.

27-1-3
(b) The ownership of, jurisdiction over, and control of all wildlife, as defined in this title, are declared to be in the State of Georgia, in its sovereign capacity, to be controlled, regulated, and disposed of in accordance with this title. Wildlife is held in trust by the state for the benefit of its citizens and shall not be reduced to private ownership except as specifically provided for in this title. All wildlife of the State of Georgia is declared to be within the custody of the department for purposes of management and regulation in accordance with this title. However, the State of Georgia, the department, and the board shall be immune from suit and shall not be liable for any damage to life, person, or property caused directly or indirectly by any wildlife.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Where would Georgia deer hunting be if it not for other states sending deer to Georgia C> Killmaster?

3/4 of the deer restocked in Georgia came from Georgia, the others were purchased from other states.

Lilly001

I hate to pay the non resident fee to hunt my land that I also pay taxes on, with no exemptions.
But the alternative is to not hunt, or hunt illegal.
I'm not up to eigther option.

patcavscout

I meant to say "doesn't belong to the people of the state" All the same, public trust of wildlife and case law holds wildlife belongs to the public. Not just those citizens that fall within a given jurisdiction. Again, animals migrate. Public trust also means citizens of other countries. Which is why we have harvest agreement with other countries when it comes to migratory birds and salmonid species of fish. I'm simply pointing out the disparatgate license pricing is pretty incongruent with long standing laws. But then again, we have states that don't allow hunting on Sundays yet have Right to Hunt listed in their constitutions. :crazy:

patcavscout

Yep, around 50% comes from non-residents.

I wonder how many of those are from Florida? I know Florida hunters are a favorite whipping boy on here (and yes often for good reason) :whip:I would wager most of them are probably from surrounding states like SC where it seems the hunters and govn't are doing everything in their power to demise the deer herds. What would be interesting would be to compare the non-resident hunting license fees in GA with the Non_resident Fishing license in Florida.

AllTerrainAngler

For tundra swan in NC I have to pay $100 for a hunting license before I can even apply for the drawing for a tundra....

lampern

Just saw where NC set non resident license fees for alligator and elk hunting.

500 for alligator hunting and 1000 for elk hunting.

Compared to 250 for non resident in Georgia

Latest posts