North Carolina Trip

RWilk10

We are quickly approaching our annual Trout trip to N. Carolina on 10/11. So, to the avid fisherman out there what is yalls thoughts on this hurricane, and what affects do you think it will have on the fish and water?

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Generally the higher in elevation you go the stronger the winds. With the rain softening the ground I would be wary around trees.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much no effect, IMO. In my area, they're calling for 3-5" of rain, and not much wind. Less rain west of here. More the further east you go. I've seen a lot more drastic effects from a severe afternoon thunderstorm countless times than this storm will bring unless something changes greatly. Two weeks from now, you won't know it was here.

What part of NC you heading to?

flyrod444

I'm with NC on this, streams should be fine by then. I will say the Tuck might still be hard to Wade then, but not from the storm. Duke power is pulling down Bear lake on the east fork so divers can safely work on rails the gate at the bottom opperates on. If this pull down is still ongoing at that time it makes for tough wading being the east fork puts out so much water.

NCMTNHunter

Areas around Brevard see 100+ inches of rain per year on a regular basis. It is possible for Hurricanes to bring less than average rainfall :bounce:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I misread the dates. Happens to old folks like me. Y’all should be good.
Jeff

RWilk10

Pretty much no effect, IMO. In my area, they're calling for 3-5" of rain, and not much wind. Less rain west of here. More the further east you go. I've seen a lot more drastic effects from a severe afternoon thunderstorm countless times than this storm will bring unless something changes greatly. Two weeks from now, you won't know it was here.

What part of NC you heading to?

Bryson City

RWilk10

I was thinking that it being a month out we should be good. Hopefully the path will be cleaned by then (If need be).

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I just don't think we're going to get too much rough stuff out of this in the western mountains. 2"-4" of rain and 15 mph winds from the latest forecast is less than we often get in afternoon thunderstorms.

Call the folks you’re fishing with closer to time. The hurricane won’t effect your trip, but a month out this time of year there’s really no way to tell what might.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We’ve had light steady rain here in the smokies all day but no flooding or wind. We really needed the rain. If anything, this will improve the fishing.

RWilk10

Call the folks you’re fishing with closer to time. The hurricane won’t effect your trip, but a month out this time of year there’s really no way to tell what might.
We don't use a guide, just a annual trip we take. We hike 7 miles in and spend four days camping, fishing and just enjoying the outdoors.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Smokies?

Tom W.

With my cancer treatments and such I've been away from the mountains for about two years. I caught the first rainbow in 40 years in Cherokee. I like to get a two day license from the Indians and fish their waters...

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna go out tomorrow morning and see how the NC creeks are fishing.