North East Ga Mtns--Where are the white oaks acorns?

KPreston

I have hunted hogs since small game season started and have not foung any white oak acorns. There are plenty of red oak acorns on the ground now and even seen a sow and 2 cubs in red oak tree. I have talked to the local Game Warden about there acorn survey and he told me that they have not found any white oak acorns in the mtns. They have found a few down low around subdivisions. I have hunted from 2700 to 4100 feet so I have covered a lot of ground. Anybody seen any? KP.

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
No white oak acorns to be seen

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Not many up here in the mtns of western NC this year either. I think that late freeze got most of the oak blooms.

bowbuck

I hung a stand and did some scouting this morning close to helen. (roughly same elevation) and probably saw 30 squirrels all cutting white oaks. So I would check around that elevation, whatever it happens to be.

NoOne

Gone but not forgotten.
I have a tree full in my yard, maybe I should hunt there:)

KPreston

White oaks!

I have looked at hundreds of white oaks this year and have not found one that the bears have climbed, That will tell me that they are ready and ripe. This is the first year i have ever seen a bear in a red oak eating acorns. KP.

SWbowhunter

Our mast surveys show the same. White oaks and Chestnut oaks failed. Red oaks did ok. Post oaks did ok and could be the only "white oak" around with acorns.

Coon Dog

acorns

i have found a few white oaks with a few acorns falling not many on the trees thats for sure as for red oaks i was hog hunting some at the first of small game season seen 2 bears in red oaks i walked up and stared at them awhile thanking of some guys on here that are wanting to kill one if the bears are in red oaks heck they done the scouting already in that area