North Florida Bird #1 in the books.

bogeyfree31

Asked my son if he wanted to hunt the GA youth opener or Florida season opener. He replied that he'd rather sleep in.

I'm just a couple miles from the Ga line. Got to the woods and started listening. Heard one sound off about 500 yards into the creek bottom. Started walking that way and 75 yards later, a 2nd bird sounded off about 100 yards in front of me. I sat down and listened to the hens come in and coax him out of the tree with yelps and cuts. I tried to match them but they took him and walked off the other way. After I made sure they were gone I walked in another 100 yards and sat down in a laydown of trees with my back to the creek. I only brought my Avian X lookout hen this morning and stuck her in a nice opening in the bottom. I did a few yelps and cuts on the slate call but the woods were now quiet. I gave it 5 minutes and called again. About 30 seconds later I hear the sweetest sounds. Doom Doom Tic Tic. Bird is off my right shoulder and out of site at the moment. Several seconds later I can see movement out of the corner of my eye. As i turn my head i can see him better now. Caught a glimpse of his beard, game on. He starts walking towards the decoy drumming spitting and struttin. He's 20 yards off to my right and the decoy is 20 yards out in front of me. He moves a few steps at a time putting on the show. As he walks behind a tree I'm finally able to raise my gun. But he's pretty much keeping his back to me so no shot. He walks up 5 ft from the decoy and slowly turns towards me. I can see his frosted head good now and pull the trigger on the Benelli Nova. Guns goes off and the bird drops dead in his tracks.

This is just my 3rd season and my 4th bird. I've also called in 3 birds for others. This was the first bird that has come in struttin, drummin and spitting for me.

fullstrut

Actually the one in my Avitar is a FL Bird. Down around Lake George.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
:cool:

jaymax

It only gets b better...nice job

Steve Roberts

Congrats