North GA baiting vs turkeys

KentuckyHeadhunter

So they passed the baiting bill for north GA and corn will be everywhere. How and why do you think this will affect our turkey populations?

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I think it's everywhere anyway. If someone is desperate for corn, I'm sure it was 200 yards away to start with. I don't like the idea of turkeys eating moldy corn, or flocked up around a feeder to be ambushed though.

Last edited:

Gut_Pile

I don't think it's going to have much of an affect. The best properties I have to turkey hunt are in the southern zone.

fountain

Maybe they will come up with a set in stone rule now for turkeys. Bait and turkeys is a grey area. It can go 2 different ways typically, but is ultimately up to the GW at the given time.

It's hard to say really. Places that run through feeders typically start around Fed-Mar with their feeding programs and have feed stations scattered throughout.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
What about ducks?
Ducks don't get CWD and they don't feed at night (mostly). The pro-baiters should be for it.
Unlike turkey season, duck season overlaps some with deer season.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Now there will probably be bait in the woods close by to my creek bottom wood duck hunting.

fountain

We ain't worried bout ducks in the Turkey forum.

If the creek rises..I'd suggest staying home.
If the creek is low to norm..you are good

Reactions: six

Buckman18

I predict... a net 0% impact.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
there's been corn everywhere for years.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Turkeys like corn also , and I don’t think it’s bad for them and as far as moldy corn, where I hunt in both zones corn don’t stay on ground long enough to mold ! But I don’t pour in a pile either , I scatter it !

Mark K

Banned
You couldn’t bait turkeys with corn in the Southern Zone if you wanted to. Know of a feeder that’s slinging year round. About the only time he gets pics consistently is during the winter. He may get one or two every other week the rest of the year.
Y’all Northern boys got a lot to learn about feeding, lol. Yeah your deer may show up and stay for a bit, but turkeys walk through pecking and gone. Winter time you’ll get some good pics and video and serious turkey sounds though. So there’s a plus.

lampern

In NC folks have had problems with turkey flocks eating their deer corn.

I suspect turkeys will be illegally shot around corn just like they are in the Carolinas.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
In NC folks have had problems with turkey flocks eating their deer corn.

I suspect turkeys will be illegally shot around corn just like they are in the Carolinas.

Please stop comparing us to carolinians until you have a good football team

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Please stop comparing us to carolinians until you have a good football team
I shoot turkeys eeeeerrr I mean I heard of folks shooting turkey in ga. Illegal with out corn there. Just like in the Carolinians.
Well to tell the truth what ever they do in the Carolinas.... we do better here. Even in football !!

glynr329

I don't know how it will affect them, but I do know when I put corn in hog traps I couldn't keep the deer, crows, squirrels and turkey out of it.

Timber1

BANNED
Been killing gobblers for years on public land that had corn in their craws. John's Mountain and the NF in that area is one of the worst areas for that. Makes em big and fat and tasty. Turns them into runners instead of flyers. Gives them a golden yellowish hue also.

six

I think very little impact if any. As long as a craw full of corn doesn't affect their gobbling, I don't care. I go to the gobble not a corn pile. If no gobbling, I try to find them. I kill birds every year that is full of corn that I have no idea where it came from.