North Ga fly question

AllTerrainAngler

I will be up fishing around unicoi state park this weekend and this is my first try at freshwater fly fishing. I am not asking for spots but merely recommendations on some flies to pick up and take with me.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
A great source for info and flies would be Jimmy Harris and Unicoi Outfitters in Helen.

My fly selection would include wooly buggers, y2ks, pheasant tails, and Elk Hair Caddis flies.

AllTerrainAngler

A great source for info and flies would be Jimmy Harris and Unicoi Outfitters in Helen.

My fly selection would include wooly buggers, y2ks, pheasant tails, and Elk Hair Caddis flies.

Thank you. It's going to be a big change from an 8 and 1 weight down to a 4.

gunnurse

Also hard to go wrong with a Tellico nymph.

Jimmy Harris

You're timing is very good. Water conditions are returning to normal and the fish probably haven't eaten regularly for a couple of weeks. My first recommendation would be to focus more on the upper Chattahoochee River and it's tributaries. Smith Creek above Unicoi Lake is pretty good but extremely tight; lots of vegetation. As for flies, it is hard to beat Woolly Buggers and Tellico Nymphs this time of year. Just be sure you're getting them down near the bottom. It's also a great time to fish a dry/dropper rig. Pretty much any Caddis pattern, Parachute Adams or attractor patterns like Yellow Humpies and Royal Trudes in size 16 can get a bite if they're looking up. If they aren't looking up, that's when you hope you chose your dropper fly well. My first choices are usually Hares Ear or Pheasant Tail but a Prince Nymph is often just as good. Stop by the shop when you get to town. We'll give you a Trout Streams of Georgia map and even mark it up with some fishing spots for you.

AllTerrainAngler

You're timing is very good. Water conditions are returning to normal and the fish probably haven't eaten regularly for a couple of weeks. My first recommendation would be to focus more on the upper Chattahoochee River and it's tributaries. Smith Creek above Unicoi Lake is pretty good but extremely tight; lots of vegetation. As for flies, it is hard to beat Woolly Buggers and Tellico Nymphs this time of year. Just be sure you're getting them down near the bottom. It's also a great time to fish a dry/dropper rig. Pretty much any Caddis pattern, Parachute Adams or attractor patterns like Yellow Humpies and Royal Trudes in size 16 can get a bite if they're looking up. If they aren't looking up, that's when you hope you chose your dropper fly well. My first choices are usually Hares Ear or Pheasant Tail but a Prince Nymph is often just as good. Stop by the shop when you get to town. We'll give you a Trout Streams of Georgia map and even mark it up with some fishing spots for you.

Thank you. I really appreciate it. I will definitely stop by.

AllTerrainAngler

WE didn’t get To make many stops as my buddy was running me around EVERYWHERE. We fished, Boggs creek, the chattahoochee, and mill creek. Boggs creek was pretty productive with a few falls trekking, mill creek was not productive. Game warden and locals said the wildfire killed off a lorn if the brook trout. We went into Helen at the city park and walked up and down. RIver was pretty muddy but still caught plenty. I wasn’t using my 8wt and cheated a 4lb mono tippet. Prince nymph, green wooly bugger, and one other Fly a guy gave me in Helen.