North Georgia hunting/fishing cabin timeshare

Possum

Banned
Next month we are building a new house and trying to figure out what to do with our current house. We dont want to sell, so our options are rent out for someone to live in, rent out as a vacation rental or let it sit vacant. Ive had rental properties and dont want the stress that comes with it. Im not sure about renting out as a vacation home if anyone has any advice on that.

Another thought I had is rent out kind of like a time share type deal. Id like to hear yalls opinions if this idea is viable.

So to start off with the description of the place...
Its a very nice 4 bedroom 2 bath fully renovated home built in 1940. Its all tongue and groove pine, hardwood floors, etc. Fully furnished and decorated with deer heads and all (all locally killed!) It has a fenced horse pasture and a barn that will fit a couple four wheelers and a boat.

It borders the nicest national forest youll find anywhere in north Ga. Excellent deer, bear, turkey and hog hunting. Ive got pictures of deer that score in the 120s-130s pretty much every year and we see a fair amount of 100"+ bucks. Zero hunting pressure in these woods. I havent seen another hunter in years. I have personally killed a few pretty nice bucks, two bears between 300-360 lbs, hogs and tons of turkeys. The National forest behind the property is very hard to access from any road but its just a short walk through our private land to access thousands of acres of gently rolling timber. (not mountainous)
We also are very close to several WMAs

It is also a fisherman's paradise and has 7 large lakes that are less than a 35 min drive.

Tallulah Falls Lake- 5 min drive
Yonah lake- 15 min drive
Tugalo lake- 20 min drive
Lake Rabun- 20 min drive
Seed lake- 30 min drive
Lake Burton- 35min drive
Lake Hartwell 35 min drive

And for trout fishing, a year round stocked trout stream (Panther Creek) less than 5 min away. Other trout streams are a short drive away.

Great hiking trails are nearby and Tallulah Gorge State Park is a 5 minute drive away.

15 minutes to Clarkesville, 20 minutes to Clayton 25 minutes to Toccoa.

Now for the details on my rental idea...
I was thinking about finding four small families and each family could choose one week per month to have the house to themselves and sign a yearly agreement for $250 per month.

So $250 for a weeks stay for 12 weeks a year.
Each family would pay 1/4th the power bill and insurance too.

So what do you think? would this idea work? Is that a good deal or a total ripoff? You wont hurt my feelings so tell me the truth.

Thanks

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Have you checked the rental market lately? If you can find good renters (I know, that's a gamble) it's a seller's market these days. Most of the rentals around here are more per month than our last house payment was.

Possum

Banned
House Pics

Attachments

• IMG_2288.JPG
    IMG_2288.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_2284.JPG
    IMG_2284.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_2286.JPG
    IMG_2286.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_2290.JPG
    IMG_2290.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 445

Possum

Banned
deer pics
first is from 2015
second is from 2016
all rest are this season
I only had a camera up this year for a couple weeks. I bought some land last year and moved all my cameras down there.

All these trail cam pictures are less than a couple hundred yards from house.

Attachments

• IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 421
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_2025.PNG
    IMG_2025.PNG
    220.2 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_2023.PNG
    IMG_2023.PNG
    221.7 KB · Views: 422
  • IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 421

T-N-T

I think that most people can't escape life for a full week every month.

They can however get away one to three weeks a year.

That just complicates things on your end a good deal

Possum

Banned
Forgot to mention it has wood stove and a grill. Sorry I dont want to give exact location away since yall will probably come try to shoot my deer. But you get a general idea by its proximity to Tallulah. If you know the road I live on, please dont disclose in this thread!
And its not available now, we wont be moving out until next summer. Im just posting now to get yalls opinion if I should try this renting out thing

Possum

Banned
Have you checked the rental market lately? If you can find good renters (I know, that's a gamble) it's a seller's market these days. Most of the rentals around here are more per month than our last house payment was.

I know I could rent out to full time tenants but after I sold the last rental, I vowed to never do that again.

May try the VRBO thing if this idea doesnt pan out

Possum

Banned
I think that most people can't escape life for a full week every month.

They can however get away one to three weeks a year.

That just complicates things on your end a good deal

True, I wouldnt expect someone to take full advantage of every one of the 91 days a year but similar houses are renting out in this area for well over $300 a weekend. So even if a family only got away for one weekend a month, 10 months a year, I thought it would still be a fair deal.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
All of us would want to be up there for the rut.

PappyHoel

I will sign up for a long weekend get away with the wife and kids. I can hunt the mornings and we can go do fun stuff later. 45 min drive from my house. My wife would love this.

I would like Dec 2 - 5th 2018 please. :)

Possum

Banned
All of us would want to be up there for the rut.

Brings up a good point on which family would get which weeks. I guess fairest way would be to to have each of the four families list in order the weeks they want and then select one choice from each family until all weeks are full. This way no one guy would get all the good weeks... rut, opening weekend, etc.

PappyHoel

Possum

Banned
My math was wrong, each of the four families would get 13 weeks a year, not 12. But since I’m such a nice guy, I’ll throw in the 13th week for FREE!

(It’s still $250 a month):bounce:

greg_n_clayton

Forgot to mention it has wood stove and a grill. Sorry I dont want to give exact location away since yall will probably come try to shoot my deer. But you get a general idea by its proximity to Tallulah. If you know the road I live on, please dont disclose in this thread!
And its not available now, we wont be moving out until next summer. Im just posting now to get yalls opinion if I should try this renting out thing

I done know where it/you are at !! Ya got any hush money ya want to donate to a good cause ??

:pop::pop:

Possum

Banned
I done know where it/you are at !! Ya got any hush money ya want to donate to a good cause ??

:pop::pop:

Uh oh, I knew someone would come along and blackmail me. If you keep my secret place a secret, I’ll give you a $20 Southern Chimney Sweep gift certificate

greg_n_clayton

Uh oh, I knew someone would come along and blackmail me. If you keep my secret place a secret, I’ll give you a $20 Southern Chimney Sweep gift certificate

HMMM....how about a 12" rubber boot and a 8"pipe with 12" sleeve cap and it's a deal !!

:cheers::cheers::cheers: