Northwest Nebraska

Jwhigg

My father and I are a trip in November to Northwest Nebraska for mule deer/whitetail on public land. This is our first western hunt and the main goal is to learn as much as we can and if we are able to harvest a deer that be a plus. Does anyone have any experience in this area? We are looking at fort Robinson, soldier creek and several other public land near the area.

MidwestAddiction

I’ll be there starting November 16th in the same area. Hunting private family land with a buddy- his family owns an insane amount of land since the late 1800s. They have killed some insane Muleys there from the pics and mounts I’ve seen at his house . I’ve been buying some different glass since I was invited based on their recommendation- he says a good spotting scope and a higher power set of binoculars is the most important thing in the sand hill country . Mainly the reason I’m going is to kill a mule deer- I’ve never killed a Muley. Best of luck to you!

DeucesWild

You'll need good glass all the way around. Bino's, spotting scope and rifle scope. Get to the range and practice at different yardages with your gun. You can top a sand hill and a trophy could be bedded in a blowout at 30 yds or you can top a sand hill and a trophy can be standing 300 yds away bumping a hot doe. Where I hunt there is a mix of both mule deer and white tails. I have noticed that when you bump a white tail buck, he tends to travel a long distance before stopping. The mule deer I have seen usually just follows the hot doe and more times than not usually stop for a look back before blowing completely out of the area so be ready for that long shot if it presents itself.

Jwhigg

Thanks for the help. I’m trying to decide on what spotting scope to purchase. I’m planning on picking up a vortex diamondback either a 10x50 or 12x50. Would a 10x50 be more reasonable? I don’t understand how everyone talks about the pressure on public land and how low the population of deer there are now. If it was that bad why would people continue going to the same places? I know I’m going to purchase an extra doe tag, should it be pretty simple to harvest whitetail does on public land? We are planning on staying 5 days and hunting pretty much the whole time. Thanks again