Not Fishing but please allow.............

olcaptain

I began my teaching/coaching career in the fall of 1974 at Turner Middle School in Lithia Springs, Ga. I turned 22 years old that December and most of my players were probably 13-14 years of age at the time. This team was an extraordinary group of young men who, for the most part, were destined to make a big difference in this crazy old world. Fortunately for me, I have been able to stay in contact with several of these guys through the years and rather than simply being limited to a coach-player relationship, we have become friends.
1.jpg
We bill our Monday breakfast as the “Whosoever Will Men’s Breakfast” intending to try and invite any and all men to feel welcome to join us. But when Zach Spencer tapped on my shoulder at the breakfast table this morning I couldn’t hold back the tears of joy! Zach was on that first team (#25) and we have tried our best to stay connected as best we could over these last 43 years. Because of his Dad’s (Benny) passing and Chad’s passing being so close together this was this first time we have been able to get together and chat and we were able to share a couple of our favorite memories.
2.jpg

4.jpg
I was so proud to be able to introduce Zach to many of my new friends and to show him around a bit. Not only did he get the breakfast tour, but he also got reunited with Max, visited the Captain’s Café, and make a quick memorable run up and down Crooked Creek!

3.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
At 57 years old Zach is no longer an 8th grader. At 65 I am no longer a long haired, polyester wearing, middle school basketball coach. But this one thing is for sure. The bond that brought Zach Spencer all the way from Villa Rica, Georgia this morning is thicker than anybody’s pancake syrup! I love you Zach!

ryork

Incredible post Captain! To stay in touch with teenagers for that long, you must have made a lasting and positive impression on them. Would call that a job very well done!

My Mom was the Roopville Elementary School (That Went to 8th Grade back then) girls basketball coach back in the late 70's and early 80's. To this day, we can be out somewhere and now a 50 yr old give or take woman will yell across a room or wherever, Hey Coach....... Worth more than every penny earned or every game won.

Upatoi Sportsman

Awesome story. I myself am a coach and one of best fishing buddies is one of my players I coached my first few years. I have been lucky enough to coach him, then coach with him,and also become friends and enjoy God's great outdoors with him hunting and fishing. Seeing formers players succeed is the greatest feeling of accomplishment for us coaches.

Cmp1

BANNED
Great as usual Cap'n,,,, I tried looking up some old friends and gals the other day to no avail,,,, will have to keep trying, I have always regretted losing contact with the old guys and gals,,,, when you played, were you a forward?

NugeForPres

Captain, coach, mentor, friend. You have had a positive effect on many, including myself. Thanks for sharing.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Great story Captain, looks like you had a positive influence in a lot of lives. I am gonna come down there one day and visit you and your fishing partner.

Da Possum

Campfire Helper
Excellent post as always, Captain! You were rocking it in your polyester suit!

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
Wonderful post sir! You are a great example of a man after Gods heart! Always positive and uplifting, and never a negative word from you no matter what the situation.