Not so sure

basstrkr

One approach that might allow time to hunt over a longer period would be to focus more on being open for lots of weekends instead of weeks. The migratory bird treaty with Mexico gives us something like 72 days to allocate over our season. If we had multiple Sept and Oct weekends open, we could still have the extended season thru January, which I think is great, but could potentially accommodate a much longer season during the Sept/Oct harvest times. I’d rather have lots more Friday-Sundays open than just a few scattered full weeks. You could then have at least 3 days per week to hunt for EVERY week of the season from
September-January. Couldn’t that about satisfy everybody?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

across the river

That would be nice, but they limit the number of splits and zones. You can only have three "splits" maximum. Dont quote me but I think if you have a statewide season, you can have three splits, which is what the did. If you have two zones (north and south) with different season dates then you can only have two splits in each. It all ties back to the treaty rules so you can't just set it for every weekend, although many would probably approve of that.

Beagler

They could do like Texas,
North ZoneSept. 1 - Nov. 12, 2019
Dec. 20, 2019 - Jan. 5, 2020Central ZoneSept. 1 - Nov. 3, 2019
Dec. 20, 2019 - Jan. 14, 2020South ZoneSept. 14 - Nov. 3, 2019
Dec. 20, 2019 - Jan. 23, 2020

across the river

They could do like Texas,
North ZoneSept. 1 - Nov. 12, 2019
Dec. 20, 2019 - Jan. 5, 2020Central ZoneSept. 1 - Nov. 3, 2019
Dec. 20, 2019 - Jan. 14, 2020South ZoneSept. 14 - Nov. 3, 2019
Dec. 20, 2019 - Jan. 23, 2020

The state can break it up however they want to as long as it is a 90 day season, runs between Sept. 1 and Jan. 31, and they don't have more than three splits (two breaks in the season). The feds break the country up into Eastern, Central, and Western Units and establish those criteria for each unit. Most every state in the Eastern unit has different dates, so there are many possibilities for dove season that can be created in that framework. The reason it is different in Georgi now is because the season can now run to Jan.31, and based on the survey they took days days from he middle of the season and added days to the end. Most of the States in the Deep South did the same thing, they just pulled different dates and had different splits in the middle. Regardless of what the DNR does someone isn't going to be happy with it, but at least they did a survey to get opinions. They could have just started it in late September like Florida, but then people would have complained about not have the opener in early September (Labor Day weekend most years).

Beagler

The state can break it up however they want to as long as it is a 90 day season, runs between Sept. 1 and Jan. 31, and they don't have more than three splits (two breaks in the season). The feds break the country up into Eastern, Central, and Western Units and establish those criteria for each unit. Most every state in the Eastern unit has different dates, so there are many possibilities for dove season that can be created in that framework. The reason it is different in Georgi now is because the season can now run to Jan.31, and based on the survey they took days days from he middle of the season and added days to the end. Most of the States in the Deep South did the same thing, they just pulled different dates and had different splits in the middle. Regardless of what the DNR does someone isn't going to be happy with it, but at least they did a survey to get opinions. They could have just started it in late September like Florida, but then people would have complained about not have the opener in early September (Labor Day weekend most years).
I’m not complaining this year. I enjoyed Having almost the whole month of September, ofcourse I’m in north Georgia, with the tempatures getting into the mid to low 40’s the dove in my field will probably be gone this week. . The dnr has a thankless job, there going to be blasted by some and praised by others.

Big7

The Oracle
I wish they had took September and left October in ...

I hear that Bro..

First Saturday in September is just plain out to dad- gone HOT. HOT. HOT. ? ?

Turkeytider

One approach that might allow time to hunt over a longer period would be to focus more on being open for lots of weekends instead of weeks. The migratory bird treaty with Mexico gives us something like 72 days to allocate over our season. If we had multiple Sept and Oct weekends open, we could still have the extended season thru January, which I think is great, but could potentially accommodate a much longer season during the Sept/Oct harvest times. I’d rather have lots more Friday-Sundays open than just a few scattered full weeks. You could then have at least 3 days per week to hunt for EVERY week of the season from
September-January. Couldn’t that about satisfy everybody?

I think that`s a capital idea!!