Nottely flathead

FireHunter174

My 11 year old son and I have been doing some cat fishing this summer on lake Nottely. We just fish from the bank and spend half the night having a good time and Lord willing catch a few fish.
Well last Friday, about 11:00, my son hooked into a good one. He was fishing with a little rod from Walmart with an open-face reel and 6 lb. test. Also, he was using night crawlers. We were excited to see what he had. After about 15 minutes he finally got it in. Our net wasn’t big enough. So, I kind of pinned it between the net and a boulder and grabbed it by the lower lip.Our scales I had just bought that day said 32 pounds!
I’m proud of my little man and he is definitely hooked for life.DF58F3E1-E76B-4614-A449-FBC27F77837C.jpeg17E503F6-CAF0-4A64-AAB1-8CFAF799ED72.jpeg

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Good one, way to go!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a heckuva cat! He looks quite happy. :)

The mtn man

I never would have thunk that would be in nottley, that lake is full of channel cats, that's a dang goodun!! Congratulations!!! I fish nottley all the time, I had no idea flathead were in there.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
He did a great job in not letting that monster not break that 6lb test line. A catch he will never forget.

FireHunter174

Appreciate the comments y’all. He’s become quite the fisherman over the last couple years. Also, after getting his first deer last year, he can’t wait to hit the woods. Here’s a few more he caught this summer. Sorry, I’m a proud daddyA1071D5E-2202-46B4-BC77-D9E0DE002959.jpegE86F2873-7E4D-4D56-A7B7-64394E51B462.jpeg41B4E1C6-0978-4AE0-88A5-F1DD2334C440.jpeg.

JackSprat

Way back when DNR published it's own glossy magazine, Nottely and a couple of the other lakes in that area where the only places in Georgia you could catch flatheads (as far as I know). The mag regularly had pictures of monster cats pulled out of there.

They were the go to lakes for all the local ponds that use to have "catfish derbies" with oversized stocked catfish.

Unintended consequence is that DNR probably promoted the illegal dispersal of flatheads around the state.

Some nice catches for the boy.

Rabun

Those are great shots and happy faces! Don't apologize for being a proud Dad...Nicely done (y)

Coenen

Nice! I thought I did all right to land a big bass on 6lb test over the weekend. That young man has the touch!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Appreciate the comments y’all. He’s become quite the fisherman over the last couple years. Also, after getting his first deer last year, he can’t wait to hit the woods. Here’s a few more he caught this summer. I’m a proud daddy.

I JUST WANT TO SAY THAT YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO BE A VERY PROUD DADDY. I AM SO PROUD OF YOUR SON AS WELL AS YOURSELF FOR BEING ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH SUCH A FEAT ESPECIALLY FISHING ON LIGHT TACKLE WITH JUST 6 # LINE !!! WELL DONE AND GREAT JOB !!! :cheers:

Last edited:

Lindseys Grandpa

I never would have thunk that would be in nottley, that lake is full of channel cats, that's a dang goodun!! Congratulations!!! I fish nottley all the time, I had no idea flathead were in there.
There was a article i believe in 80' in Ga Sportsman that named nottley as the best place in State to catch a giant Flathead. Me and a Buddy drove up to look it over and stopped at a country / bait store that had pictures of some huge ones. I don't remember where the store was.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
There was a article i believe in 80' in Ga Sportsman that named nottley as the best place in State to catch a giant Flathead. Me and a Buddy drove up to look it over and stopped at a country / bait store that had pictures of some huge ones. I don't remember where the store was.
I remember one of my grandfather's coon hunting buddies caught one in Nottley, maybe in the 1970s that was upwards of 50lbs.