NUT ????

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Found a tree that dropped a lot of these small nuts at our hunting club that I don't recognize. The larger husk is from a hickory nut. The other ones are the size of a penny. Does anyone know what they are?

Attachments

• nut .jpg
    nut .jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:

Blackston

Shrimp tree. When all the leaves fall off the shrimp ? have gone off shore for the year. Had 2 in my yard growing up and Daddy was a shrimper they are surprisingly accurate!!!!! ( It's a hickory nut )

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, they’re hickory nuts. There are well over a dozen species of hickory that are common throughout the southeast. I have half a dozen of them just on my small properties.

SRShunter

Yep, they’re hickory nuts. There are well over a dozen species of hickory that are common throughout the southeast. I have half a dozen of them just on my small properties.
You definitely know your plants and trees and I love that about you. Would love to walk around my property with you one day...boy would you get tired of all my questions ?

Hickory Nut

Here's a grilling tip for anyone who grills using charcoal. Pick up hickory nuts that have shed their outer skin and fill up a 5 gallon bucket or two. Let 'em dry out and add 5-10 to hot coals before placing meat on the grill. Works just like hickory wood and will make everything you grill taste better. I guarantee it!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Once again that Hickory guy knows his nuts and how to use them!

Rabun

Now that's interesting! I'll have to fight the squirrels for some next Fall and try that.

Hillbilly stalker

I see the small ones like that around September every year. I don't think its a special hickory tree, I believe they are just the first ones to drop from the summer heat, like maybe they didn't get enough water and turned loose before they matured. My guess at it. They work pretty good in a slingshot tho.