O/U

dixiejacket

Looking for an entry level over under. Understand that you “get what you pay for” but I am looking to shoot clays 2 or 3 times a year. Recommendatios on what brands to look at or not?

ryanh487

My dad has a couple of CZ's, one in 20 and one in 12. They are sweet little shotguns, and I can't remember what model they each are but I believe they were under $600 each brand new.

lonewolf247

I’d second the Yildiz recommendation. It’s hard to top that quality of wood, and build, at that price point.

Buford_Dawg

Yep, Yildiz is a very nice budget O/U. I have a 20 and have been very happy with it. Shot skeet with it numerous times and use it for small game hunts as well.

Bottomtime

My 10 year old son shoots a 20 gauge Yildiz youth OU. Nice gun but doesn't fit me well. I have a 20 gauge Stevens 555 that was similarly priced and fits me like a glove. We've had no issues with either of these weapons.

killerv

I've got a buddy that absolutely loves his yildiz. Easily has over 10,000 rounds through it in just the few years he's had it. Duck loads too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Stevens makes a pretty good lookin O/U in that price range, too.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a TriStar in 28. It is not like the current product line. The receiver is blue and has some of the best outta the box shotgun trigger I have seen. I think they are better than the 425 Sporting I had. This gun doesn't have ejectors and that is the only thing I don't like about it...but I can live with it for all of the other pros.
It is my favorite shotgun I shoot.

breathe in

i was looking at the yildiz website and was having trouble telling them apart. even the descriptions looked similar. is the only difference the color of the receiver and the amount of engraving?

comparable to stoeger?

chainshaw

How much do you want to spend? The Turkish O/Us are okay, but for around $1000 you can get into a Franchi Instinct and have an Italian O/U that blows the others away. You also can find some nice SKBs and Brownings (both Japanese) used for under $1000, if you look hard enough.

chainshaw

i was looking at the yildiz website and was having trouble telling them apart. even the descriptions looked similar. is the only difference the color of the receiver and the amount of engraving?

comparable to stoeger?
I would rather have a Stoeger, as you get a warranty that is owned by Beretta.

Mauser

Ithaca or skb models 500 or 600 skb made them for Ithaca. They are the same guns. I have 2, nothing fits me like those. If I were buying new I'd look hard at CZ.

FOLES55

Just bought my brother a CZ redhead premier. He has only shot it once so far, but likes it.

Joe EC

Forget the $1000 dollar Italian guns or someone elses used crap. Get a Yildiz 12 ga O/U, also get a 12 or 20 ga semi and throw in the Yildiz YP12 pump for the same $1000 and you can have fun with 3 really reliable and fun guns that will last you forever based on your stated shooting frequency!

Oh, the Mossberg Silver Reserve is a train wreck. Stay far, far, away from them.

The Silver Reserve II is another story. They fixed all of the many issues with the original and re introduced it as the Silver Reserve II. Nice gun.

Joe EC

Stoger seems to make a good pump but the O/U's have had their share of problems. I haven't handled one in a few years so they may have straightened them out but several years ago they were known for doubeling, fails to fire from firing pin issues and not setting the hammers, hard opening, rough machining of internal parts.

CZ makes a nice O/U as are the B guns but the price is pretty steep for an occasional shooter.
If you are in that price range and like shooting trap look at the Tri-Star TT15 trap combo. They also make nice flat rib O/U's also for reasonable prices if the game is sporting clays or skeet.