O/U

basshound72

Stoger seems to make a good pump but the O/U's have had their share of problems. I haven't handled one in a few years so they may have straightened them out but several years ago they were known for doubeling, fails to fire from firing pin issues and not setting the hammers, hard opening, rough machining of internal parts.

CZ makes a nice O/U as are the B guns but the price is pretty steep for an occasional shooter.
If you are in that price range and like shooting trap look at the Tri-Star TT15 trap combo. They also make nice flat rib O/U's also for reasonable prices if the game is sporting clays or skeet.
The stoegers I've handled felt like a 2x4 in my hands. Don't own a Yildiz but have shot a few and they handle and point well for me. I bought a Tristar from a friend needing money Just to help him out. Didn't expect much for $200, but since then my Browning has become a safe queen. I absolutely love the tristar. I think new they're around the $4-500 mark. I have Stevens 555 .410 that shoots and points great too. They're around $650

pacecars

I picked up a Yildiz 28 ga and so far have been very impressed. Shoots and handles great

jglenn

Yep Yildiz all day.

Family ownes 3 of them and all have been perfect

weagle

I would skip the Yildiz. Used 12 ga OUs with 26" barrels and fixed chokes are out of style and very affordable. $600 will buy a nice old Browning Citori or SKB built Ithaca. Also, if you want a newer design with screw in chokes, look for a used Verona built by Rizzini. Most of the 26" guns will be choked Modified and Improved Cylinder which covers most applications including upland and sporting clays. If you can swing $800 - $900 you can find a 28" or 30" gun with screw in chokes. The most expensive thing about shotgunning is the shells and targets. Don't skimp on the gun. A good used Browning or SKB will retain close to 100% of it's value. Shells and targets are at least $50 down the hatch every time you go shoot

Something like this:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797262208

Last edited:

tad1

I would skip the Yildiz. Used 12 ga OUs with 26" barrels and fixed chokes are out of style and very affordable. $600 will buy a nice old Browning Citori or SKB built Ithaca. Also, if you want a newer design with screw in chokes, look for a used Verona built by Rizzini. Most of the 26" guns will be choked Modified and Improved Cylinder which covers most applications including upland and sporting clays. If you can swing $800 - $900 you can find a 28" or 30" gun with screw in chokes. The most expensive thing about shotgunning is the shells and targets. Don't skimp on the gun. A good used Browning or SKB will retain close to 100% of it's value. Shells and targets are at least $50 down the hatch every time you go shoot

Something like this:

Weagle hit the nail on the head, very good points. I am like many people always looking for solid value and while I don't have personal experience with CZ shotguns(turkish made) o/u or yildiz, I would steer clear of these. Dad did buy a little Huglu turkish 20ga that doubled a couple times before he liquidated it.
Many lower priced B guns simply have lower grade wood and finish work and are just as solid internally as their higher priced brothers. You might find a used beretta or browning for a decent price. And if you decide to sell it, you have your investment back.

Another thing to say is that fit can be everything with a shotgun and O/U guns aren't easily modified so make sure it feels good on the shoulder before you cash down.
JT

Reactions: Dub

Joe EC

Something like this:

Is that because you have owned or shot a Yildiz extensively?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I own a yildiz .410 O/U used for small game hunting and thoroughly enjoy it. I have not had a single issue with the gun.

Joe EC

The gunsmith I use told me to go with a CZ before the Yildiz

Is he a CZ dealer? I hear that a lot because you can only get a Yildiz at Academy.
Heck, I know Benelli dealers that will tell you to buy a 828U over a Yildiz when they know full well the 828 is a major train wreck of a O/U.

Dennis

No he no dealer just from the guns he works on. I ask him what he thought of the CZ shotguns he just said there better made than the yildiz

Esau

I have owned a Mossberg and a stevens o/u. I sold them both and bought a Browning. I love the Browning, well worth the money.

weagle

Is that because you have owned or shot a Yildiz extensively?

I've spent the most part of the last 12 years as a gun distributor and running retail gun shops, including one with a public indoor range. If I sell a particular make of gun and customers have a lot of issues with that gun I generally quit selling those guns and don't recommend them. I don't base this off of price in any way. For example Kimber is another brand that is very high on customer dis-satisfaction in my experience. On the other hand, I love well made economical guns. The Tristar Viper G-2 semi auto for instance is an outstanding value in a semi auto shotgun.

If Yildiz, made the same OU with 2 triggers and standard extractors, it would most likely be a very good performer and a solid value. Those are the 2 areas of failure for most of the "value" level OUs and the Yildiz suffers the same problems. Selective ejectors, and single selective triggers are also the most likely point of failure on the more expensive guns, just at a very, VERY, lower rate of failure.

Having said all that, I haven't been in the retail end of the gun business for almost 3 years, so Yildiz may have brought their game up, especially given the volume they sell through Academy.

Still, The quality of a used Citori or SKB is the same as the quality of a new $2500 Browning or Beretta, so I know where I would spend my hard earned money.

Joe EC

I've spent the most part of the last 12 years as a gun distributor and running retail gun shops, including one with a public indoor range. If I sell a particular make of gun and customers have a lot of issues with that gun I generally quit selling those guns and don't recommend them. I don't base this off of price in any way. For example Kimber is another brand that is very high on customer dis-satisfaction in my experience. On the other hand, I love well made economical guns. The Tristar Viper G-2 semi auto for instance is an outstanding value in a semi auto shotgun.

If Yildiz, made the same OU with 2 triggers and standard extractors, it would most likely be a very good performer and a solid value. Those are the 2 areas of failure for most of the "value" level OUs and the Yildiz suffers the same problems. Selective ejectors, and single selective triggers are also the most likely point of failure on the more expensive guns, just at a very, VERY, lower rate of failure.

Having said all that, I haven't been in the retail end of the gun business for almost 3 years, so Yildiz may have brought their game up, especially given the volume they sell through Academy.

Still, The quality of a used Citori or SKB is the same as the quality of a new $2500 Browning or Beretta, so I know where I would spend my hard earned money.

Sorry but now you are just making stuff up!

Trigger problems?? Yildiz suffers the same problem?? Really, find me a post about a failure of a Yildiz single selective trigger.

Just be honest enough to say " NO I have no experience with a Yildiz BUT here is my opinion anyway". And we will all take your opinion for what it is worth.
My home has 3 Yildiz, a 12ga O/U, 20 ga. Semi and a 12ga. pump. All are fine guns with lots of use and NO issues to date. That is my experience, not opinion.

weagle

Sorry but now you are just making stuff up!

Trigger problems?? Yildiz suffers the same problem?? Really, find me a post about a failure of a Yildiz single selective trigger.

Just be honest enough to say " NO I have no experience with a Yildiz BUT here is my opinion anyway". And we will all take your opinion for what it is worth.
My home has 3 Yildiz, a 12ga O/U, 20 ga. Semi and a 12ga. pump. All are fine guns with lots of use and NO issues to date. That is my experience, not opinion.

OK. I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. Enjoy.

paulito

I bought the 20ga tristar from Walmart as a first shotgun for the boy. Shot skeet with it today and got his first mallard at an Alabama youth hunt thus evening. Worked perfect and can treat the sub 400 process tag.