Ocmulgee

joepuppy

I'm thinking about it for bow season. It's the closest to me.

Can anyone clear up some confusion I have about taking hogs during small game season. As I understand it, hogs may be taken as incidental game on wma's during small game season but must be taken with the same firearms used for small game hunting. Does that mean if using a 22 LR, only a 22 LR round may be used on the hogs as well? Would it be legal to switch to a 22 magnum round for a hog? What are the rules if using a shotgun for squirrel. Can a larger shotshell, say a 2 or 4 shot be used for a hog? Cannot find any info on this in the Georgia hunting guide. Thanks

35 Whelen

Feral hogs may be taken anytime a season is open on a WMA, but hunters may only use weapons and ammunition legal for the game species for which the season is open.

SMALL GAME LEGAL WEAPONS and AMMUNITION:

FIREARMS:

• Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any muzzleloading firearm. For fox & bobcat, centerfire firearms of .17 caliber and larger may be used. There is no restriction on magazine capacity for rifles.

• Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5 inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or smaller shot.
•For hunting game animals other than deer and bear, shotguns shall be limited to a capacity of not more than 3 shells in the magazine and chamber combined. If a plug is necessary to so limit the capacity, the plug shall be of 1 piece and incapable of being removed from the loading end of the magazine.

ARCHERY EQUIPMENT:

Crossbows, longbows, recurve bows, and compound bows are allowed for hunting any game or feral hog. Arrows for hunting deer, bear or feral hog must be broadhead type.