Odd arrow travel

killabig1

Killed a ten-pointer (11/11/18) and upon recovery discovered an unusual travel path of the arrow in the deer.
The buck was about ten yards from my stand and facing away but the right side of its body visible/exposed to me. The shot hit high on its right shoulder and penetrated to the fletching.
(I use fairly heavy arrows, ~440 grains/100 gr 3-blade Muzzy broadhead)
The broadhead end of the arrow was pushing the hide out on the RIGHT side of its ribs - the same side of the entry hole.
See the photo: the entry hole is high on the shoulder where the antler shadow is, the arrow end is the bulge on the lower side of the ribs.

We pulled the arrow out of the chest cavity and it was about 12 inches and broken off. The broadhead was not attached, perhaps is was in the removed guts/lungs.

How did this happen? The straight expected trajectory would have had the arrow traveling toward the lower LEFT side/shoulder of the buck. Did the arrow curve while inside or deflect off the ribs? Did it move around while the buck was running off?

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_4598b.png
    IMG_4598b.png
    458.4 KB · Views: 98

Rabun

Sounds like the arrow/broadhead broke off shortly after penetrating the shoulder with the broadhead finding it's mark high in the lungs and the shaft tracking along the rib cage. He's in the truck...(y)