Odd Hawk behavior

Killdee

I have a large hawk hanging around my house, he does not appear to fear humans at all. He gets in our bird bath and sits for an hour lately on these hot days. There is hillside by my house he hunts and I have seen him on the ground over there a couple times eating a snake or mouse i guess. He will let me walk right under his perch only 12-15' above my head and he will perch in the same limbs on a couple trees for 30 minutes or an hour. Lately I see him working his beak like he is hot. I guessing he is either sick or has been imprinted to humans at some point and released. In the past any hawk I see will take off immediately when they see a human.
Any Ideas?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
More than likely it is one a falconer had at one time, and finally flew off.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I remember a redtail on a college campus that was quite tame. He would come really near people when crows were bothering him so that they would leave him alone.

GeorgiaBob

Since hawks are generally not hunted by humans, your strange visitor could simply be acclimated to humans in his territory. The lack of reaction certainly means the bird is familiar with humans and has no bad experiences. He could have been fed by someone, or simply raised in close proximity to people. Harks are "street" smart, if he recognizes that you are no threat, other threats are minimal near you, and there is food food in the neighborhood, then he will stick around and make himself at home!

Last edited:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Since hawks are generally not hunted by humans, your strange visitor could simply be acclimated to humans in his territory. The lack of reaction certainly means the bird is familiae with humans and has no bad experiences. He could have been feed by someone, or simply raised in close proximity to people. Harks are "street" smart, if he recognizes that you are no threat, other threats are minimal near you, and there is food food in the neighborhood, then he will stick around and make himself at home!

Redtails are the go to bird for most of the falconers that I know.

Killdee

I acquired a squirrel yesterday and placed it within 30’ on the ground. He looked and watched it and sat on his perch for 3 hours. I just noticed him and the squirrel gone. A bit later I noticed another squirrel tail twitching near the ground and found Mr hawk and dinner under the mountain mist plants. I was no more than 5’ feet from him when I noticed.

Killdee

I’m within 8 feet of him here. He is breathing heavy but he got a good feed so maybe he’ll perk up a bit. What brand a hawk is he?24F82144-1109-4A2F-953A-96C78B5E91F2.jpeg

Killdee

Better front view

Attachments

• D625AF84-EEE9-4A0B-A8E6-E53941B9E2D1.jpeg
    D625AF84-EEE9-4A0B-A8E6-E53941B9E2D1.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 54

Twiggbuster

Had one similar to yours, but yellow beaked.
He would perch on top of old barbed wire fence in backyard day after day for a month or more.
Just sit there.
Disappear and reappear.
Didn’t seem to be hunting

Hillbilly stalker

There's a red tail that raises a clutch in my side yard , she's been there the last 4 years or so. I watch her sit on a broke off limb and she just watches the squirrels and rabbits. When she hits the ground it must be for something small for her bitties. She uses the same nest over and over. I hear or see her everyday. Those are some pretty pictures you took.

Jeepnfish

I've had them perch above my campsites over the years. I think they know when you're not a threat. I have one inhabiting my back yard also. Plenty of squirrels for the taking.

Killdee

Update!! He or she is still around, he was continuing to gasp for breath all day yesterday but he got 2 more feeding of the squirrel. I put my wheelbarrow over by the squirrel and put water in it and he used it yesterday. Overnight some critter absconded with his squirrel but I left him 3 strips of raw stir fry beef when I left this morning. He was right over my head and watched me put it out and got it sometime later. This afternoon he looks much better and has stopped gasping. I left him 3 more strips and he got em within an hour.

oldguy

Like most critters, they are opportunistic. Find an easy source of food and stick around awhile and take advantage. Had a barred owl here at the house that would sail in during daylight hours when it heard the .22 go off. Knew it meant free food. Flew over my head so low once I felt the air from its wings!. Same bird used to eat table scraps and dog food out of a pan I put out for coons and foxes. Also cause they're wild critters they're precarious - here today and gone tomorrow.
Cool pics! Thanks for posting.