Of such matters as context and audience

Thread starter #1

Israel

There seems a labor in these things..."what is being said there in the matters surrounding?" and "to whom is such being said?"
I think we have all had enough exchange in the world as such that is constituted in unbelief to know (have we?) what would say "you cannot hear God or (a god) in any of it". There is no God to hear, and certainly not...in any of that.

On the other hand is not the believer, not only the one who has an expectation of hearing God in Christ (or from God in Christ) in whatever manner He chooses, but also the one in whom it is being made clear "neither dare I limit Him in how He may speak/show to me, or through what vessel or means, lest I in ignorance be found seeking to cut Him off from myself"? Dare we forget that Jesus marveled, particularly, in where He found faith?

Is it only my inference Jesus implied He found a thing where there might be a less than full expectation of its being found...coupled with a not finding it where there might have been some expectation of finding?

In speaking of the Centurion:

When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.

I don't think that "verily" should be lost upon us, especially if we claim faith.

In matters of context we could (would we?) contort ourselves to our own understanding..."this is before the cross, this is before the resurrection, this is before the giving of the Holy Spirit, this is before "I" identified myself as believer." Therefore "In this context, such is meaningless to me..."

And audience? "Well, I wasn't there for Jesus' appraisal of my faith to be included, for surely if I were..."

Really? Then where are we...if not "before the Lord"?

But, like a hit dog that cannot deny being hit by his yelp, I can find a (perhaps) fitting ouch in the exchange. After all, aren't christians such that are rich in faith, and I am claiming Christ...therefore...

But, what if I am (no less than may have been presumed in Israel) no less poor in faith than those described who may have presumed to themselves...otherwise? And even of those in whom Jesus may have expected to find...more of faith?

Yes, I say. For in this these words cannot be excluded:

And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them?
I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

Should that not sober us? Might we not do well to consider the question before offering the handiest of answer? No matter what contortions may have been of some comfort previously.

"LOOK!" one might say, "a man who seems to be conceding he could be poor in faith...is seeking to say something...about faith" Yes, again.
And were it not for the Lord's grace to what may once think of itself as presumptively rich in faith (and that, by its own presumption) such would surely be lost. But grace is far too marvelous than formula.

So I have found Jesus speaking to such a man, of such a man, and for such a man whose presumption of what "enough" faith is, and means (believing it is in his possession) to say this:

And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

Ahhh, such relief! Such relief found for what may in presumption discover (as revealed of the Lord) "your faith is very small, very small, indeed!" And now you will fret over whether you have "enough" because I have shown this to you! But, such fretting will only come as result in believing my showing!

And he saith unto them, Why are ye fearful, O ye of little faith? Then he arose, and rebuked the winds and the sea; and there was a great calm.

The one caught in this tempest of fret comes to appreciate the all but unbelievable faith found in the Son of God! Such winds and waves that would buffet, can, and might in the appraisal of our own faith...come...

Nevertheless!

To what end do I speak? Only to what, like myself, is finding often rebuke. I cannot be of any use to what is finding itself so rich in faith that mountains continually and immediately fall before him. As a little one in such dire need of continual assurance I may, at best, be only fit to speak to such others.

We are those needing every word, every comfort, every bit of what may even seem bitter...to taste the sweetness. I should have been lost in all and any of my appraisal of having "enough"...were it not for the Lord's caution and beckoning...there is always...more than you can ask or think.

How small our Lord was willing to appear, how weak toward what is His...that together we may marvel with those who say:

But the men marvelled, saying, What manner of man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey him!

Yes, what manner of man is this?

Can only be said by what, in all, knows He is set apart.

And where "they may appear" becomes somehow less than secondary.

It is not to be hidden from us why the Lord follows this...

If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.

immediately with this:

But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat? And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink? Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not. So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

It is just our duty to uproot sycamines, and cast mountains into the sea.

We do nothing special...to our own sight.

And he said, So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed into the ground; And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knoweth not how.
For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear. But when the fruit is brought forth, immediately he putteth in the sickle, because the harvest is come.

Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

Do we see the One in whom patience has had her perfect work?

Even in such speaking?

I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not.
He answereth him, and saith, O faithless generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him unto me.

Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end.

To see what "end" the love of Jesus Christ took Him to is to see the sealing of His word. To see the resurrection is to see in Whom and by Whom such is both spoken and sealed.

No need to ever wonder...if you believe it...if you believe it "enough". (Unless you love...fretting)

If you hear the Lord asking:

Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?

to be filled with a Holy fear, no need to wonder. Or even answer. Enjoy such Holy fear.

Last edited:
Sometimes I miss things, and sometimes the right time comes for my heart to gently know a beautiful truth. This morning, Israel, was one of those times. Thank you for sharing this.

"At the right time ... "

As you have pointed out, faith is like this too. When it sprouts fourth and yields a crop, we don't know where the crop really comes from except considerations of the very Root which supports us. Those considerations lead to gratitude and thankfulness. I have seen that in my own life the last two weeks ... incredibly.

The gift of faith, perhaps small in size to the seeing eye is placed in our great Lord and God, one who is nurturing and loving in His care of it, and will even be responsible for the finishing of it in Glory.

Thread starter #3

Israel

Sometimes I miss things, and sometimes the right time comes for my heart to gently know a beautiful truth. This morning, Israel, was one of those times. Thank you for sharing this.

"At the right time ... "

As you have pointed out, faith is like this too. When it sprouts fourth and yields a crop, we don't know where the crop really comes from except considerations of the very Root which supports us. Those considerations lead to gratitude and thankfulness. I have seen that in my own life the last two weeks ... incredibly.

The gift of faith, perhaps small in size to the seeing eye is placed in our great Lord and God, one who is nurturing and loving in His care of it, and will even be responsible for the finishing of it in Glory.
amen.

gordon 2

While it is true that we cannot command God by faith that we are made ever to be in context as to values we are instructed to prepare to meet Him especially as children come to life itself. And the needs of children are simply basic. The needs of the Roman was basic and he worked himself ,a commander of men, to his estate of basic need as a child would do. And in this way his faith without being told on it was in agreement to high instruction of Jesus to his followers. And so for all said on grace and though it is of God and from God, we have works to do towards our part to intimacy with God and to meet Him as children do when they care to have context with an other and on some of the essentials of life itself..

Last edited: