Oglethorpe County Point

This is probably the best point that I've been able to find although it doesn't compare to some of the beauts that are posted here regularly. I found this back in the early 2000's by the moonlight as I was walking in to my deer stand. I got turned around in the young pines and looked down for the trail and it was laying there like it was meant for me to find. I put it in my breast pocket and forgot about it until I got back to my truck after the hunt. Looking online I thought it might be a Cobbs or a Stanfield, but I could be way off with that.

Attachments

• 1207180716.jpg
    1207180716.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 1207180716a.jpg
    1207180716a.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 54

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a great find. I would call it a late-stage preform, just before notching/stemming, and final sharpening of the edges. The base has already been thinned, but the final round of pressure flaking edgework hasn't been done. I'd say several point types are actually preforms of other types.

Forest Grump

If you weren’t too turned around, remember that spot & go back & look some more.
As a general rule, when you find nearly finished preforms like that one, you have found a spot where they spent a good bit of time living, & there are more points to be found there.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you weren’t too turned around, remember that spot & go back & look some more.
As a general rule, when you find nearly finished preforms like that one, you have found a spot where they spent a good bit of time living, & there are more points to be found there.
Sometimes, preforms at that stage were cached in batches, also.