Ok, I admit, I can't do it.....

Dixie Dawg

I can't cook grits.

Now, before I get thrashed beyond recognition, I admit that I am a Yankee transplant with a southern heart. But I can't cook grits. I LOVE them, but if I cook them they have to be :::::eek:k sit down::::: instant grits. If I cook the 'real' ones, they are TERRIBLE.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to cook the real ones?? I don't want to be a 'poser' forever!!!!

Love, light & blessings,
Kerri ;)

Darcy

not only have i never tried to make them, i just don't think i WANT to... Best of luck to ya though ! Soon as you get that down, along with some good fried chicken, you'll be set!!

hope someone can enlighten you! heck, i dont even know what they're made of!

SWAMPFOX

First thing is to make sure you put salt in the water, then bring it to a roiling boil before you put the grits in. You can't get them salty enough any other way. Then pour in the grits while stirring the boiling water. Reduce the heat and continue to stir til you get a nice thick lightly bubbling consistency. I learned how by reading and following the directions on the Dixie Lilly bag. Serve 'em with a gob of real creamry butter and never, ever, put sugar on them. The make a great accompaniment to just about anything Southern...fried or scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, fish, pork chops, sugar cured & hickory smoked ham, turnips greens, mustard greens, poke salad, etc.

H

HT2

Swamp got it right!!!!!!!

Just make sure you got plenty of water and don't stop stirring.........

If there get "chunky"..........Just add more water and let them cook down to the right point they need to be......

The key is to add salt.........Grits aren't good without salt....

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
SWAMPFOX said:
First thing is to make sure you put salt in the water, then bring it to a roiling boil before you put the grits in. You can't get them salty enough any other way. Then pour in the grits while stirring the boiling water. Reduce the heat and continue to stir til you get a nice thick lightly bubbling consistency. I learned how by reading and following the directions on the Dixie Lilly bag. Serve 'em with a gob of real creamry butter and never, ever, put sugar on them. The make a great accompaniment to just about anything Southern...fried or scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits, fish, pork chops, sugar cured & hickory smoked ham, turnips greens, mustard greens, poke salad, etc.
It makes life worthwhile to see I may have helped people discover one of the best things the good lord made. :bounce:

ramblinrack

make em' soupy, salty and buttery....impossible to mess up.

:) :) :)

lockhornes

Just cook them slow, over low heat and add lotsa butter, and salt
them when you put them in a bowl, because you can't get them
salty enough while cooking them. Try adding a little cheddar to
them, that is good too.

bull0ne

Banned
With a thin pot they will burn or stick most times.......use a thick pot that disperses heat better.

dixie

What Swamp said, just make sure you don't add more than the instuctions call for. BTW, give Jim Dandy brand a try. Mrs Dixie uses a LITTLE less than the instructions calls for and lets them boil down. Grits-- the OTHER white meat!!!! LOL

Last edited:

PFDR1

Make 'em as thick as you want to cause once you add the MILK and SUGAR to them they should be ok. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

QuakerBoy

I can't understand why this is a bad thing :whip: ::ke:

RJY66

Hey Dixie,

Try cooking them in a microwave. Bring them to a boil on the stove (easy to boil over in the Mic), then stick them in the mic on low to medium power and let them cook until they get like you want them.

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Here's ya a little tip if you really want to make the best you ever put in your mouth. Rather than using all water add some whole milk to them. It will make them smoother and creamier.... ;)

Scouter

..... as you pour the grits into the boiling water, pour them slowly while stirring until all the grits are in the water. Then stir a bit longer until they begin to boil. Then turn the heat way down and stir occasionally.
While the grits are cooking, add a couple shakes of Texas Pete. Makes all the difference in the world. :yeah:

Dixie Dawg

PFDR1 said:
Make 'em as thick as you want to cause once you add the MILK and SUGAR to them they should be ok. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BLECH!!!!!
I wanna make GRITS, not cream of wheat!!! LOL

Love, light & blessings,
Kerri ;)

Dixie Dawg

Thanks y'all!! I'm gonna try some using y'alls tips in the morning... went and bought a new bag of NON-INSTANT grits today!! Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it..... ;)

Love, light & blessings,
Kerri ;)

country

4 to 1 thats 4 parts water to 1 part grits and follow the advice of the others with regards to salt, butter and stiring

Jeff Phillips

Stir them frequently with a wisk, like you would use to scramble eggs or beat egg whites. When they start to thicken up, add lots of real butter, maybe some cheese, and cover, let them sit and finish cooking without any heat.