Scopes for a couple deer rifles $250.....$500.....$1,000.......$1,500+....

Dub

Thinking about a scope for a non-magnum cartridge deer rifles for use in woods, powerlines and occasional big fields.

Dawn-to-dusk performance.

Ability to discern spread requirements.

My normal Georgia distance is 200yrds and under..........out of state hunts may be up to 400yds+.

I've got a few rifles that I need to get up and running and some fun range time ahead.

Last edited:

Robert28

I can only speak to the $250 as I’ve never owned a more expensive scope than $400 and that was an old Zeiss Conquest for $399. IF you can find someone selling a Leupold vx2 I’d buy that for $250 or less.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Yup. It maybe a dud thread....but it's relevant to me.

Search engine couldn't find what I needed..

I was thinking the opposite. Every good scope on the market new and used is in that range.
Buy a leupold vari x 3 and you’ll do as good as any other can at higher or lower price.
Was just kidding about thefacepalm:

Reactions: Dub

Horns

I put a Vortex Crossfire on my son’s 308. He has had it for 2 years and no complaints. I just bought a 45/70 and put a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 on it. I like it but no hunts or kills with it yet

nmurph

Need to know what magnification you want?

Conquest are made by Meopta.

I have a Crossfire on a gun... very satisfied.

I have several Vx 2&3's... very good for the money.

Dub

Wanting a 3-12 or 4-16 magnification.

Open minded on objective.....40-56mm.

Tall shooter, long neck. My other deer rifles have 20-50 mm objectives in powers that range from 1-14 power.

If a rifle's cartridge "restricts" it to deer hunting "only" then I will use a scope with known low light performance without illuminated reticle. In the $500 category I'd suggest Zeiss Conquest or Terra, Leupold and Vortex. While recommending scopes in the $200 price range is somewhat tricky, I'd still not be hesitant to say Leupold and Sig Sauer as scopes known to be dependable and quality made. My preferences run to heavy Duplex type reticles or #4. I prefer more trim scope sizes and only own 1 scope with over a 40mm objective.

For my other hunting, hogs and black bear, I will only use scopes with illuminated reticles due to their vast superiority in low light. A fella hunting with us in Maine last September told us he lost the crosshairs on his Leupold VX2 a full 15 minutes before legal shooting time ended.

Up to $500. my money goes towards Leupold VX-Rs and my 7th VX-R was ordered just the other day. I own VX-Rs in 1.25-4×20, 2-7×33 and 3-9×40. A couple of the lowest power ones have Firedot #4 reticles, the rest all have Firedot Duplex. I like the 2-7 variables as a good compromise of low end FOV and decent high magnification.

treemanjohn

Banned
I will predict that everyone with highly recommend what they purchased. I have a lot of different scopes and they all do well. The only ones I don't like are the cheaper scopes and Burris. I have several Leopold and Zeiss. They're excellent

Dub

Meopta scopes, regardless of model are hard to beat.

Also, Call Doug at Cameraland. They have just about anything you might want at unbeatable prices most times.

I've got a 3-10x44mm Meopta on another rifle....thinking seriously about another one. They really do make some good scopes.

280 Man

Banned
I've got a 3-10x44mm Meopta on another rifle....thinking seriously about another one. They really do make some good scopes.

Ive got a Zeiss 3.5-10x44 #4 on my 280, and a Meopta 3-9x40 plex on a 7-08....Really good scopes

bighonkinjeep

3-9x50 Burris E1 If you can find one.
The 4.5-14 x44 E1 would also be a good choice and both would come in near the bottom of your price range. They also come with a forever warranty you'll never need and perform batter than a lot of "others" two and three times the price. I also like the reticle. No adjustments when matched to the appropriate caliber, just range, hold on the appropriate mark, and shoot. I've had one of the original FF2s on a .300RUM since 2002. Still dead nuts on. Have 4 of the E1s and like them as well or better than as my Leupolds, higher end Bushnells, and Zeiss at 1/3 the cost.

TJay

Either Meopta or the Zeiss Conquest. Do they still make the Conquest model? I thought the Terra was going to be the substitute for the Conquest.

TJay

I just looked up the Conquest, that V4 3-12 x 44 sure looks purdy. I think it wants to go home with you Dub.

280 Man

Banned
Either Meopta or the Zeiss Conquest. Do they still make the Conquest model? I thought the Terra was going to be the substitute for the Conquest.

Zeiss still makes some of the Conquest models as well as the Victory models..V4 and V6 are Conquest models...Most of the Victory scopes cost in excess of 3 grand..

Dub

I just looked up the Conquest, that V4 3-12 x 44 sure looks purdy. I think it wants to go home with you Dub.

Looking into some scopes for different rifles.

Just picked up the new rifle today that will get the best of the glass.

M77

Adjustable length of pull for taller shooters. I'll be adding at least one of those two spacers and trying it out.

Swore I'd never have another rifle with a confounded brake. Cool thing is that this one can be easily swapped out with a matched weight for hunting season.

Laminated wood stock that was dipped in the Natural Gear camo. Surprising to me that the checkering is as sharp and aggressive in a laminated & dipped stock. I'm pleased.

Classic caliber that I have confidence in. Will likely be rolling with 165gr Nosler BT loads in it.