Okay experienced trout fishermen

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Once the leaves hit the streams what clues/tricks do you have for the inexperienced?

BeefMaster

Dredge a size 12-14 rainbow warrior or size 8 Black stonefly nymph (girdle bug or Pat’s rubber leg style pattern works best for me) with a size 18-22 black or olive zebra midge dropper through the runs. A size 8 black or olive woolybugger with a size 14 to 18 rainbow warrior dropper is a good bet too. When the bite is slow I normally can produce with these.
My save the day fly is a size 8 brown chenille, red hackled woolybugger with an olive and black barred tail.
Also, you can sling some big meaty articulated streamers such as Kelly Galloup’s Sex Dungeon for browns during their spawning period.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Are you fishing for wild trout in smaller streams or stockers/tailwater fish?

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Are you fishing for wild trout in smaller streams or stockers/tailwater fish?

Actually I have done and will do both. The stockers are pretty much gone from the streams I went to this past weekend. Might have just been at the wrong ones like Wildcat where I stopped at the first bridge and worked several hundred yards upstream without seeing any fish.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The leaves are annoying to try to fish in, and seems like you're always snagging one every cast sometimes. But the fish will usually still hit. Sometimes, the leaves seem to shut them down, but sometimes they'll keep hitting with a stream of leaves washing by.

Those little tiny nymphs work well on stockers and on the tailwaters, but not so much on smaller creeks and wild trout. Prince or Tellico nymphs in size 12-14 usually work well this time of year on smaller streams, as do dry flies in gray or orange, like an Adams, Thunderhead, October Caddis, or Orange Palmer in sizes 12-14. Sometimes the bigger spawning browns will hit a #10 or #12 Sheepfly, or a #14-#16 Pheasant Tail. Stockers love Wooly Buggers, but wild trout won't hardly hit them unless the creek is dingy after a rain. .

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Thanks for the info looks like I will need to tie a few flies in orange.

AllTerrainAngler

Fish wildcat aove the stocking point and you’ll do better. After stocking ends the stocked fish seem to disappear unrim they start back besides a few stragglers. Boggs is the same way. There’s one pool at the stocking point where there were about 150-200 trout and they slowly get caught and removed until the creek is pretty much empty of them. Go above stocking point there and you’ll catch wild trout.