Old country stores....

david w.

I like the one up in shady dale.Its your general store,grocery store,parts store.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Tell me about it..
Now if I need nails I have to go 10 miles to the home depot
Pain in my :whip:

There is still a semi-country store in Gratis and I think one in Good Hope

There will be one down in Seminole County before too long, maybe. Stop by when I open it, and I`ll buy you an ice cold Orange Crush. :D

grunt0331

There used to be one in Inman, GA off Hwy 92 between Fayetteville and Griffin. Me and my sister would spend the week with our godparents and they would always take us down to "The Store" as it was known to buy candy and cokes.

Place had hard wood floors worn smooth by the number of steps taken on it, it was dusty, and had old rusty metal signs on the walls. In a word it was PERFECT.

Use to love going down there and filling a brown paper sack with gumballs, jawbreakers, fireballs, and all manner of goodies. One time, my godmother bought me a 6-pack mof Jolt Cola and let me drink 2 or 3 in one sitting. Good thing they had a large pasture and a big creek for me to play in. Sure do miss those days at times.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Seems to me that they used croaker sacks along the Atlantic Ocean coastal areas, to transport Croaker fish. I've heard the term Corned Croaker, to mean salted Croaker to preserve the fish for later use. I believe that is what a "Croaker Sack" is. I think "Tow Sack", is as previously said was a sack made of coarse fiber material,such as burlap,or jute.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
There will be one down in Seminole County before too long, maybe. Stop by when I open it, and I`ll buy you an ice cold Orange Crush. :D

Build it and we will come! I'll bring my pocket knife,and some whittlin wood, some old stories, and a heap of questions. If it's winter time,a pot of coffee on the stove would be just fine,too. Some Mary Janes,Squirrel Nut Zippers,and Tom's Peanut Planks would also be good.

Arrow3

Nicodemus needs to hurry up and open one!! :bounce:

SarahFair

If you're driving 10 mi. to an HD you aren't in Monroe then....::ke::bounce:

Im just outside watkinsville.
People dont realize actually how much further we have to drive once they see the Monroe exit :bounce:

woco hunter

My grandparents ran a country store back in the fifties and sixties on Hwy 33 between Sylvester and moultrie at the county line called twin pines grocery. It's still there as are the twin pines, but has been turned into a house. It was well before my time. I've only seen pics and heard stories although I have cigar boxes with receipts where they bought their stock (grampys filing system ). They say that people would get a snack and sit on the coca cola crates and talk- to pass the time. Well grampy was a Yankee from Maine and he threw out out all the crates so they would make their purchase and leave lol. Maybe I can dig up an old pic.

Last edited:

woco hunter

photobucket-4081-1333678745625.jpg

photobucket-4369-1333678747301.jpg

photobucket-2392-1333678746764.jpg

Dirtroad Johnson

I remember sorten through the caps of bottle drinks looking for RC caps to scratch out the cork liner underneath the cap to see if it had that black diamond shape symbol with RC in the middle of it, yeah that was worth a free RC. Most people in the community ran a tab at the store & I also remember the block cheese & the bologna & just the fresh smell of the store, all those pleasant odors.

southernboy2147

I wish i would have got to experience these days and times. back before everything was so screwed up.

Arrow3

I'm still waiting Nick :D

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
There's still one on Hwy 24 between Milledgeville and Sandersville, "Barksdales," been there probably over 50yrs ??

Got anything from hardware, boots, some fine bbq, and some good homemade sausage and biscuits and most anything you might need.

I'm going by in the morning to pick up some Bbq. It's only a mile from my job.

The ole store in Deepstep closed a few years back.

Scrapy

Banned
Ya'll been to the Cobbtown Mall? The Cobbtown sports still gather there along with some johny come latelys.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I'm still waiting Nick :D

There`s actually an old one for sale down there right now, and less than 3 miles from our cabin. Problem is, I like retirement too much and dislike any responsibility that might cut into my huntin`, fishin`, and travelin` time. Can`t forget my serious loafin` time too. :D

I done got so sorry and worthless I`m tempted to hire somebody to to keep the gnats fanned off of me and to pour my bourbon for me. :p

Another problem is I done got like my old Grandaddy was, reclusive, ornery, short tempered, and not fit to be around decent folks much. No joke...:O

I have thought about that store though. That has to count for something. :cool:

bigdaddyga

The highway department just tore down my Grandaddy's old country store in Zetella at the corner of Hwy 16 and Vaughn Rd. It was sad to see it go.