Old gas space heater

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
I ran into an old 40,000 BTU gas space heater. It was new in box and although obsolete, to much of a bargain to walk away from. After the three day power outage last week, I realized that it may have a use in the future. I purchased a low pressure propane regulator and hose. Although the stove works, the flame is low and doesn't provide the heat that it should. I know that some of you probably still have one of these things in use. Does your commercial propane tank and regulator provide more pressure that is typically available in a grill type low pressure regulator? School me on these things.

Jim Baker

Staff member
I ran into an old 40,000 BTU gas space heater. It was new in box and although obsolete, to much of a bargain to walk away from. After the three day power outage last week, I realized that it may have a use in the future. I purchased a low pressure propane regulator and hose. Although the stove works, the flame is low and doesn't provide the heat that it should. I know that some of you probably still have one of these things in use. Does your commercial propane tank and regulator provide more pressure that is typically available in a grill type low pressure regulator? School me on these things.

Might be the regulator. But GAS is nothing to be unsure
of. I would take by a an LP distributor and let them look at it.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Is it GAS or LP. Make sure it has the correct orifices

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
and make sure you have the correct regulator on the heater.

Most heaters have a built in regulator, and they can be changed from Nat Gas to LPG by changing spring/plunger arrangement on the regulator.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
There is no regulator on this heater. It is set up for natural gas. There are no instructions in box and manufacturer is out of business. Nothing on internet. I can get an adjustable regulator. I guess that I thought that regulators for propane , even on commercially available residential tanks , was preset at a industry standard.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
it will never work until it is setup properly for LP

take it to a LP provider, and see what they would charge to set it up and get it ready to go

Jim Baker

Staff member
There is no regulator on this heater. It is set up for natural gas. There are no instructions in box and manufacturer is out of business. Nothing on internet. I can get an adjustable regulator. I guess that I thought that regulators for propane , even on commercially available residential tanks , was preset at a industry standard.

There you go. Take it to a LP distributor. You don't know what you don't know.