Old school cast iron.

MOTS

"This is up for bid at the local auction tonight. Can someone tell me something about it."

The pan with eleven individual servings is a muffin/bread baking pan. It is usually called a Gem Pan if you do a Google search. Most were made by Griswold and Waterman. It should be well over 100 years old. Nice find. Is it being sold as a set or individually? The bread pan should exceed 100.00 easily by itself.

Longhorn 16

This is up for bid at the local auction tonight. Can someone tell me something about it.
39914718_1985708244818841_8287280710645972992_n.jpg

Looks interesting!

kaddiddle

Thanks for the information. MOTS, i'm not sure how it will be sold. I have called my buddy who owns the auction barn to find out more information.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I've had my great grandmother's skillet for more than 45 years and my wife's Wagner for 33 years and I have on occasion used a tiny drop of detergent into hot water to clean stubborn messes or after canine assists in skillet scrubbing. While it takes the shine off the seasoning, no more than hot water, a wipe of olive oil brings it back to where it was. I have also used coarse salt or a copper pad to clean stubborn spots. Gil

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
And here is a great way to keep a cast iron skillet seasoned. Bon appetit!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jester896

Senior Clown
Seeing some good pieces...here are mine
IMG_2025.jpg

1 10" SK marked
2 10" Chicken Fryers both Wagners
1 12" No Name Skillet
2 Dutch Ovens
1 Glass lid 1 Griswold lid and one basting lid
2 8" Skillet Marked 5B
3 #3 6" Skillets
2 10" griddles
1 Square
1 small cornbread
1 large cornbread
1 10" round with the ridges
1 square with ridges
there is a 3 or 4" somewhere that i only melt fat (butter or bacon) that I can't seem to find

very few of mine have names. I is on the light side and all the rest are the heavier

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Seeing some good pieces...here are mine
View attachment 940918View attachment 940918

1 10" SK marked
2 10" Chicken Fryers both Wagners
1 12" No Name Skillet
2 Dutch Ovens
1 Glass lid 1 Griswold lid and one basting lid
2 8" Skillet Marked 5B
3 #3 6" Skillets
2 10" griddles
1 Square
1 small cornbread
1 large cornbread
1 10" round with the ridges
1 square with ridges
there is a 3 or 4" somewhere that i only melt fat (butter or bacon) that I can't seem to find

very few of mine have names. I is on the light side and all the rest are the heavier
Goodness, what a collection! I'm like you, most of my iron isn't branded.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the bad thing is Purdy Gurl just got her a new stove with a glass top. Says she don't want me to use anything but smooth bottoms. Most of my skillets have the ring around the outside and may have to limit their use...them 2 chicken fryers have smooth bottoms :D

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
the bad thing is Purdy Gurl just got her a new stove with a glass top. Says she don't want me to use anything but smooth bottoms. Most of my skillets have the ring around the outside and may have to limit their use...them 2 chicken fryers have smooth bottoms :D
Why? I have been using ring-bottomed cast iron on a glasstop stove every day for the last twenty years, and have not had any problems at all? I don't understand the reasoning.

Jester896

Senior Clown
The cooktop mfg recommended against it. After 40 years of telling her to read the directions and she will know how it works...she read the stove directions. As long as you don't spin it on the eye I'm sure it is fine.

trents99

Very nice collections!

In absence of SS or copper scrubbers I use kosher salt and water as a paste with a rag for cleaning.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
O.K., I know it's been weeks, but it took me that long to find a battery for the camera, sorry. The first cast is a oleo from different sources, some Lodge, some Wagner, and some unknown and I use most of them. The trio was handed down to my paternal Great Grand Ma and Pa from their parents on the occasion of their nuptials in 1890's Shoot'n Creek North Carolina, how old they are I have NO idea, but I use them all the time especially my cornbread pan in the middle. The quilts are all the one's given to me by my maternal Grand Mother, except the last. The last was my "first" birthday present, finished just before my birth by my paternal Great Grand Ma. My Mom has a cedar chest full of her Mother's best work that she's saving for her Grand (and I mean GRAND) Daughter that I may never see. 100_2768.JPG100_2770.JPG100_2773.JPG100_2774.JPG100_2776.JPG100_2779.JPG100_2780.JPG100_2782.JPG100_2784.JPG100_2787.JPG

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The cooktop mfg recommended against it. After 40 years of telling her to read the directions and she will know how it works...she read the stove directions. As long as you don't spin it on the eye I'm sure it is fine.
All I can tell you is that I have used it on a glasstop daily for over twenty years. About thirty for my mom. 0 problems at all. The glass cooktop here still looks like it did the day we bought it.

Hillbilly stalker

Oh and H22 didn't want me to post the pick of the several quilts we have. I think he's Grandmama wanted a girl. My mama made Cody an American flag. No pics. He has it.
Ive got a hand sewn quilt like that my maw maw made for me. She called it a "Little Dutch girl" quilt. Everytime I look at it, I recognize an old apron, homemade dress, bonnet or skirt maw maw wore. Brings back some great memories.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
O.K., I know it's been weeks, but it took me that long to find a battery for the camera, sorry. The first cast is a oleo from different sources, some Lodge, some Wagner, and some unknown and I use most of them. The trio was handed down to my paternal Great Grand Ma and Pa from their parents on the occasion of their nuptials in 1890's Shoot'n Creek North Carolina, how old they are I have NO idea, but I use them all the time especially my cornbread pan in the middle. The quilts are all the one's given to me by my maternal Grand Mother, except the last. The last was my "first" birthday present, finished just before my birth by my paternal Great Grand Ma. My Mom has a cedar chest full of her Mother's best work that she's saving for her Grand (and I mean GRAND) Daughter that I may never see. View attachment 942736View attachment 942738View attachment 942739View attachment 942740View attachment 942741View attachment 942742View attachment 942743View attachment 942744View attachment 942745View attachment 942746
Those are some true treasures right there.

Jester896

Senior Clown
All I can tell you is that I have used it on a glasstop daily for over twenty years. About thirty for my mom. 0 problems at all. The glass cooktop here still looks like it did the day we bought it.

I have done it a couple of times...I think it was more to point out to me that she did indeed read the directions :)

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I have done it a couple of times...I think it was more to point out to me that she did indeed read the directions :)
Yeah, the one time you wished she hadn't, right?