Old trusty wont hold a group?

BassHunter25

I’ve Got a ruger m77 7mm mag from early 90’s bought used. Have had same leupold vx1 for twenty years. Always been on never had any problems. I missed a buck a couple seasons ago, which was a long slitghly difficult shot. But as usual after a miss I shot at the range. The gun was off a good 6x6 inches so made a minor adjustment and shot again and it went the other way nearly the same. Then shot again without adjusting and it hits bullseye. I’ve changed ammo tightened everything from scope mounts which weren’t loose to screws on stock which were able to turn a little. Still the same situation when I shoot. I might hit true on the first shot but the second would be a flyer then third the opposite direction. I’ve maintained the gun cleaning with standard wire brush and solvent at the end of the seasons. I’m the 30 years I’ve had the gun I can’t imagine I’ve put more than 60 reds through it.
Any ideas?

au7126

Had the same problem with a new 7 mag Ruger. Crazy that it would be spot on and the next 2 rounds would be 6" low and 6" high. Gunsmith suggested muzzle brake and no improvement. Sent Leupold back for check out and no problem there. I finally sold to fellow and told him problem. He said he could hand load and fix the group. I want a new gun to shoot ammo bought across counter and tried several different manufacturer before selling. Ruger would not do anything because I had added the brake.

If possible, try using a mechanical boresigter (collimator). Check the back and forth movement of the reticle as you're adjusting it to see if it seems to be tracking evenly. Then give the scope a couple of hits with your hand and see if the reticle jumps from that.

While I've never sent a Leupold back for repair, I've sent several, like 5-6, in for reticle changes. They are very efficient and their customer service is absolutely top notch.

BassHunter25

If possible, try using a mechanical boresigter (collimator). Check the back and forth movement of the reticle as you're adjusting it to see if it seems to be tracking evenly. Then give the scope a couple of hits with your hand and see if the reticle jumps from that.

While I've never sent a Leupold back for repair, I've sent several, like 5-6, in for reticle changes. They are very efficient and their customer service is absolutely top notch.

Should I buy a collimator? Or just buy a new scope? Honestly I wouldn’t mind upgrading the scope.
Is that the only way to figure out if the scope is bad?

Should I buy a collimator? Or just buy a new scope? Honestly I wouldn’t mind upgrading the scope.
Is that the only way to figure out if the scope is bad?

If you're not against the idea of upgrading your scope, I'd go ahead and buy a new one and then send that scope into Leupold to check and service it. They will repair it, or replace it with a like model.

And a great deal on a replacement would be the VX-R 3-9x40 on sale right now at Midway for $399. Firedot Duplex reticle.

Hillbilly stalker

It sounds like a scope or loose mount problem but..........I have seen people over tighten the fore arm screw on a rifle and make it do stupid stuff. Quickest easiest cheapest thing is to check that screw, maybe loosen it half a turn if it's seems tight, and go shoot 3-5 rounds. Minus a serious drop or damage, a Leupold usually holds true. If that doesn't do it, try another scope. A 7 mm bucks pretty hard.

Gunpowder

If it were mine I would’not give up on the scope yet. First thing I would do is take some fingernail polish (Red or white) and put a dab on the rear ring and scope. What you want is to form a seal between the ring and scope. Then shoot it. If the scope moves it will crack the seal. If that happens then remove the scope rings, clean them, clean the screws and reinstall-an inch lb wrench would be great such as the Caldwell. That doesn’t work loosen the base screws and tighten again-Caldwell in lb. if all that proves ok then I would get a new scope. I am assuming that you have not messed with the action screws. That’s a whole different ballgame.

Dr. Strangelove

Sounds like the scope has some internal issues. Leupold will fix or replace it, just email them for an RMA number. One of my 20-25 year old scopes had similar issues, the seals and whatnot had apparently dry-rotted over the years.

saltysenior

I have a Ruger 77ul in .270 ,bought in '86....been thru ammo , scope , stock , and every thing else....a good looking rifle ,but can't get it to group....

nmurph

Start with checking all screws are torqued to specs,especially the action screws. Check that the barrel if free floated, most guns benefit from this and you may have some debris in e
bail channel. If that doesn't solve the problem, then borrow a scope and try it out.
You can send the scope to Leupold and they will go through it at no charge. You will re receive complete report. Any fixable problems will be corrected.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
why not send the scope off to Leupold anyway to be checked out? It is not like it is going to set you back an arm in a leg

jglenn

If everything is tight, then the scope is the most likely culprit. As noted leupold will fix it.. if you want a new scope and don't want to break the bank, check out the Leopold freedom series. Excellent quality for the price these days.. right aroumd $200. Still made in the USA

Buckstop

If you have a scope on another rifle I'd swap it out to rule out the scope or not. Or send it back to Leupold. I got a new VX 3i last year that I put on a rifle that was shooting good with a cheap Vortex and it shifted POI on every shot by 1 to 3 inches. Re-mounted & torqued it several times with no improvement. Put the Vortex back on and it was back to .75 inch or less groups. Sent it back to Leupold. They went thru it and said they found nothing off but when it came back it shot great. They have good service and were pretty quick about it too.

Last edited:

nmurph

I have a Vari-X II that I sent back recently bc the power ring was extremely difficult to twist. It was back in a couple of weeks with a comprehensive printout of the testing. The power ring was repaired but the report stated no problems were found...no cost other than what USPS charged to get it there.

Jester896

Senior Clown
yeah
Leupold ain't perfect...i have sent the same New Leupold back 3 times because it wouldn't hold zero like you describe...3rd time I got a different serial number back.