Oldest Piece of Hunting Gear?

oldguy

I wear a Dux Bak red and black plaid wool shirt bought at the PX at Camp LeJune in 1969. Oh, the times we have seen!
My squirrel killer is a single shot bolt action Stevens (Ted Williams) .22 from Sears Roebuck circa 1962. Good thing squirrels ain't endangered cause we'd have driven 'em to extinction!

krizia829

I wear a Dux Bak red and black plaid wool shirt bought at the PX at Camp LeJune in 1969. Oh, the times we have seen!
My squirrel killer is a single shot bolt action Stevens (Ted Williams) .22 from Sears Roebuck circa 1962. Good thing squirrels ain't endangered cause we'd have driven 'em to extinction!
hahaha I've never tried them but I heard they're real good eating!

krizia829

Loving all of the responses! Would love to see pictures as well! Keep 'em coming :)

Buckman18

For deer hunting, my oldest equipment is this glossy finished Remington 700 ADL 30-06 that was made in 1978. My grandfather let me ‘use’ it when I was 14, and later in life told me it was mine when he realized how much I loved it, used it, and killed dozens and dozens of creatures with it including deer, bears, and coyotes.

The rifle is topped with an old Tasco 3x9x40. The zero hasn’t been touched in decades, and the clarity in this 41 year old scope would rival the $200 versions of Leupold, Nikon, Burris, Bushnells, etc in production today. It’s interesting how today’s Tasco scopes are just pure junk.

I got tons of 1980 duck and goose decoys.All still in use. The rifle I shoot I have had since 96 or 97 . All my stuff is old . My boat and motor are a 2001 model still running good.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I have a jacket from around 1993 or 4 that my dad bought for me from barnes's hardware in mableton. It doesn't fit well anymore cause I'm a lot more round now. My wife wears it most of the time. I also have some tasco binoculars from about the same year. I use a duffel bag to carry camo in that was my grandfather's from the early 80's. And last but not least a orange vest that my grandmother made me in 1995. I have quit using it much cause I dont won't to tear it up.

TimBray

Oldest things I have is a BDU field jacket and 2 pairs of pants in woodland camo pattern from the late 70s. Also have a Coghlan folding limb saw from the early 80s.
My favorite piece of gear is a no-name survival knife my son gave me for Christmas circa '85 or 6 when he was 4 or 5. Told my wife "Daddy needs this for deer hunting" so she bought it. Took some work to get an edge on it but I did dress a deer with it. (y) Keep it in my truck and never would think of going hunting without it along. ;) Still brings a tear to my eye thinking back to how proud he was to give that to me for Christmas. :cry:

DeoVindice

I dont even know my oldest piece of gear. I still use some woodland camo from the 80's, my old BAR, treebark camo, some old hats, slings, knives, etc...Some old family shotguns would be the oldest hunting gear I've ever used, but not for deer hunting. I've only used those for birds and rabbits.

I still use Realtree camo I bought at WalMart back in the early 90's, and a cold weather Army field jacket I bought a long time ago at a flea market for $15. It's a great piece of gear.

Interesting thread. I have some Cherokee arrowheads I've found over the years. Those are pretty old. Lol

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Another that will stay in the family. My Uncle’s Winchester 97, mid 1930s gun. Seen lots of use but still rock solid action. Cocking the hammer and shooting paper hulls is like opening a family album.

D18AFE6E-48F4-42C3-AF39-E8EF6DDB2F7C.jpeg2FC2B47A-3CE9-4B70-8056-C51085AC840E.jpeg3D709D5C-5EE1-4BF0-AFFA-07FA3961BBFC.jpeg

Stroker

My dad's uncle Wade's Winchester model 1907 SL chambered in .351 Winchester. When hunting with it I like to wear my dad's early 1950's Woolrich mackinaw.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Roger Latham "True Tone" turkey call I bought in 1970-71
Marlin 336 35 Remington manufactured in 1976
Old Timer skinning knife I bought in the early 70's
True tone owner here also! Over 40 years in the family, only I can't claim to carry it as I've backed off on the turkey hunting.

I have many 40 year old hunting items but most my stuff I really use is up to date. I do where clothes Ive been wearing 15 years or more though.

txfish

Saw an article earlier today on wideopenspaces.com about oldest piece of hunting gear. Thought it would be interesting to see what you guys still take out to the woods that may have been passed down for years and generations. What's your oldest piece (anywhere from clothing to firearm and everything in between)? How old is it and do you have a picture to share? Other than my Ruger 44 carbine from 1973 that was my grandfathers, I don't really have anything else.. Let's see what you got!

gma1320

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I have one that was built in 1911. It's in purdy nice shape. Wouldn't mind getting some shell to shoot in it. I was told not to shoot high brass.

I follow that same advice. I often think about how many turkeys fell to those guns without max loads and heavy weight pellets.

gma1320

I follow that same advice. I often think about how many turkeys fell to those guns without max loads and heavy weight pellets.
I know, it is cool to think about the stories it could tell.

7Mag Hunter

Got my Dads 12ga single barrel shot gun...killed 2 turkeys with it...He bought in 1947-48 after WW2..
real wool USMC sweater i bought from Army surplus store in 1979....
Rem 742, in 30-06 i bought in 1970 in the Rod and Gun club in Germany..probably only has 200-300 rounds shot thru it....

I use the sweater every year in cool/cold weather.....put synthetic stock on 742 4-5 years ago and started hunting with it again...

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Still got my first old timer knife from my dad in 1968 and the absolute oldest thing I still hunt with is my feets. They don't move as fast or as silent as they used to.60 years of wear will do that .