On-line gun purchases

paulito

Ok, school me on the options or ins and outs. I'm looking to buy another pistol. Have been all over town (not really) but no one has it except for one local store. I looked for it on the web and even if i figure the transfer fees correctly $25-$40 dollars tops to my local shop, i would still be saving close to $100 dollars. Am i missing something? I mean, yeah I want the thing in my hands now, but for $100 who can't wait a couple of weeks.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I've only bought one online & it was easy & convenient. I bought a pistol from Sportsman's Guide. They shipped it to a local dealer I know. Saved quite a bit of money.

ryanh487

That's pretty much it. Call your local gun store and let them know there's a transfer coming to them for you. Give online vendor their info. Order gun and wait for the call from the gun store.

You might even be able to negotiate with the gun store to match the online price +transfer fee if they have one on the shelf.

Robert28

99% of my firearms buying is online these days. I use 3 sites....Buds Guns, Grabagun, Gun pro deals. All 3 are easy, no tax, ship right to my ffl of choice.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Hmmm...my local gun store (Rome gun and Pawn) charges a $5.00 FFL transfer fee, waives it if you buy some ammo. Often their shelf price is as good as the online price anyhow.
Rome Gun and Pawn

Here's an online store I've ordered from with good success and pricing on pistols from time to time. Mom and Pop shop with an online presence.
Keely Arms

JohnK

Cherokee gun and pawn in Canton has done it for free and Live fire in Rome charges $5, free with range time. Both excellent places and have used both. I don't try and order a firearm they are selling but if they don't have one I order from them. They have good prices anyway.

Ok, school me on the options or ins and outs. I'm looking to buy another pistol. Have been all over town (not really) but no one has it except for one local store. I looked for it on the web and even if i figure the transfer fees correctly $25-$40 dollars tops to my local shop, i would still be saving close to $100 dollars. Am i missing something? I mean, yeah I want the thing in my hands now, but for $100 who can't wait a couple of weeks.

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

You're missing nothing. Zero, zilch, nada.

I bought a S&W Bodyguard and S&W Shield, NIB, delivered together for at least $100 less than anywhere else.

Online works, works really well. This from a guy who has purchased AT LEAST 50 firearms online.

Good luck!!

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Live fire in Rome charges $5, free with range time.

Forgot about Live Fire on Kingston Road, great folks, nice little indoor range, very good rates, worth the drive.

paulito

Wow, thanks for all the information. guess i may go that route then. worth a shot to save the cash.

killerv

Figure in shipping with those transfer fees and whatever the price of the gun and you'll be good to go. So many great deals out there, local stores just can't have the margins they used to if they want to compete. Gonna be some silly deals come holiday season. I picked up a new S&W shield for 250 from psa last year, no brainer.

Handguns are shipped quickly by most, wouldn't be surprised if you had it in a few days.

Gator89

Bud's includes shipping in their price, nothing is free.

Grab a Gun has reasonable shipping charges.

Watch out on gunbroker, folks like to charge $40 - $50 shipping to make more on the deal.

Pay for the insurance, it is worth it. I bought a used gun in New Mexico, the gun got "lost" at the Albuquerque UPS hub.

frankwright

I have bought six or eight guns online after searching locally with no luck.
I saved a bunch of money on each one and had them anywhere from two to five days. My local FFL raised his fee to $35 but he is 15 minutes away and very easy to work with so I just figure it in the total price.
Along with Grabagun, I have had good results from DEguns,iammo, KentuckyGun Co and several from gunbroker. Just be careful on gunbroker and watch for high shipping but I have had some great deals.
I will support my local store if the price is only 20-30 higher + paying tax but I have saved a lot more than that by buying online.

JeffinPTC

If you have a problem with Gunbroker, Expect no help at all. All they want is the commission, and don't care if the seller lies.

paulito

Well i was gonna move forward with the online purchase but found the gun at Georgia gun Shop up in Gainesville for almost $100 cheaper than anywhere else in the metro. Was actually going to buy it from them online then noticed that they had an actual retail store and had to be up that way for work anyway. Very nice to deal with.

Robert28

Well i was gonna move forward with the online purchase but found the gun at Georgia gun Shop up in Gainesville for almost $100 cheaper than anywhere else in the metro. Was actually going to buy it from them online then noticed that they had an actual retail store and had to be up that way for work anyway. Very nice to deal with.
Sometimes it works out that way, congrats on the new gun! Another reason I buy guns online is the last 4 guns I've bought, you couldn't find locally if your life depended on it. Ruger M77 257 Roberts, Colt 1911(gun shops don't carry these at all around here), Berretta M9(same gun the military uses), etc.

frankwright

Sometimes it works out that way, congrats on the new gun! Another reason I buy guns online is the last 4 guns I've bought, you couldn't find locally if your life depended on it. Ruger M77 257 Roberts, Colt 1911(gun shops don't carry these at all around here), Berretta M9(same gun the military uses), etc.
Try finding a CZ Pistol:eek: locally!

Reactions: Dub

martinc

I see you bought one but thought I'd share this lil bit of info. We've got a legit gun shop here that sells quite a few guns. One day I stopped in, looking for a model that I couldn't find anywhere local and even had a hard time finding online, even though they had prices showing for them.
Gun shop manager was a really nice guy, offered to order the gun and told me if I'd "prepay" for my purchase, he'd sell it to me for a flat 10% above cost, plus shipping. I ended up saving more buying it that way then I would have buying online and I didn't have to pay the FFL transfer fee either.
His theory was since he didn't have to buy it and have it sitting on a shelf waiting for someone to buy it, he could sell it for less.

Martin