On Your Hunting Lease..

swamp hunter

In every 100 Acres or so there are maybe 4 or 5 Sweet Spots , The rest is just blind luck.
If you have Reserve Spots don't the longest running Members kinda have them spots as personal areas ?
Do the new Members have to take the Left overs..?

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Our little club you can have a private area. Then you can also hunt areas that are open. A lot more open than what is your spot. Then we have club stands.
Private areas are in the bottoms or woods. Club stands are the food plots with box stands.
There was areas that no one hunted this year. Big areas.
Some areas only hunted 3or4 times that year.
I think that a lot of each 100 acres we have. It’s all pretty much good. The members all take good pics if deer where ever they put a camera. At our camps you can walk out to the road in front of the camp and might have a good buck cross. From both camps with in 200 yards we have taken good deer and good pics.
Most everybody hunted club stands. They killed 4 good bucks from one stand. 4 different hunters also. I was missed there. And another hunter made a bad shoot and lost a good deer.
Deer where seen at every club stand.
No one thought they had to move in close to someone to get a deer.
One member hunts a spot and I’ve never been there. He has a 140 class there he was hunting.

I don’t know. Guess we have it made.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
In every 100 Acres or so there are maybe 4 or 5 Sweet Spots , The rest is just blind luck.
If you have Reserve Spots don't the longest running Members kinda have them spots as personal areas ?
Do the new Members have to take the Left overs..?
What’s it like on your lease ?

sghoghunter

We have 775 ac with 7 members with only 5 deer hunting. We have two private spots then the rest is open to whoever wants to hunt them. When me and my brother picked our spots we gave up the best areas in my opinion just so there wouldn't be any traffic in our areas except us. I don't go on any one else's areas and I don't want them on mine.

swamp hunter

No Private areas , No Pin in Boards on my Lease.
No Feeders , No mineral sites , just woods...lot's of woods , Miles of woods...

bilgerat

Senior
my club has one private area for the president {Me} until after opening week, Its up on a big ridge and we call the stand the mile high cause it feels like its a mile hike up hill by the time you get up there . I have killed a buck almost every year up there for the past 8 years.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Our 1600 acre club is private areas. Everyone has great spots and is happy. We also have it where any member can go hunt any unclaimed area anytime.
Yes our longest running members have the easiest best spots. But there isn't a bad area on our lease.
When a new member joins they can choose from the member that got out spots or be shown unclaimed areas and he/she can pick those areas if they want.
We also have the freedom to improve any picked hunting spots however we want as long as we don't kill any pine, or hurt any pine management growth.
It works for us, we are a fairly tight knit bunch of 20. I can see how it would not work everywhere.

01Foreman400

Staff member
I’d never join a club again with private areas. I did it one time years ago. I’ve hunted on a tract now for 12 years with no private areas. You start to figure out there are spots on that 700 acres were big deer are killed on a somewhat consistent basis.

Last edited:

shdw633

Our 1600 acre club is private areas. Everyone has great spots and is happy. We also have it where any member can go hunt any unclaimed area anytime.
Yes our longest running members have the easiest best spots. But there isn't a bad area on our lease.
When a new member joins they can choose from the member that got out spots or be shown unclaimed areas and he/she can pick those areas if they want.
We also have the freedom to improve any picked hunting spots however we want as long as we don't kill any pine, or hurt any pine management growth.
It works for us, we are a fairly tight knit bunch of 20. I can see how it would not work everywhere.

We have the same system in place in our club and I like it. Allows me to improve my areas and not worry someone else is going to come in there and take advantage of all the work I have put into a place without them having lifted a finger to help me. Also allows me to continue to look and hunt new unclaimed areas so that I am not looking at the same woods over and over again. I have found that most of those that don't like private areas are the ones that don't do any work in the off season to find/improve areas in which to hunt and hunt off the backs of other members work. I would never go back to a pin in/pin out system again.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
We have the same system in place in our club and I like it. Allows me to improve my areas and not worry someone else is going to come in there and take advantage of all the work I have put into a place without them having lifted a finger to help me. Also allows me to continue to look and hunt new unclaimed areas so that I am not looking at the same woods over and over again. I have found that most of those that don't like private areas are the ones that don't do any work in the off season to find/improve areas in which to hunt and hunt off the backs of other members work. I would never go back to a pin in/pin out system again.

Yes sounds the same. I love it. Each member in our club can claim 3 personal spots. My membership and my wifes membership give us 6. But we only have 5 because we are as busy as we need to be and seeing plenty of deer with those.
When I got in the club 7 years ago and my young kids in mind I asked my sponsor "what about this spot?" It was right at a club gate, about an acre and a half of broomstraw, briars, and 5 to 10 ft sweetgum clusters.
He asked why in the heck would you want this crappy area??!!
But I invisioned an easy access area, in and out with young kids.
Anyway we worked hard and cleaned all that up and plowed and plowed and limed and grew food plot, built a box stand and now it's one of the best spots on the club! I bring my kids there and 9 times outta 10 we're gonna see deer 30 min before and until dark. My 10 year old even got his 1st 8 pt from there this past Nov.
I like private areas for reasons like this.

sghoghunter

Your right about the big deer coming from the same areas every yr. This past yr I could have picked that spot where there are big deer killed every yr but instead I picked two spots that I could build my own lil honey hole. The big buck spot was taken by a new member and there was actually three bucks taken out of that stand this past yr