On Your Hunting Lease..

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Yes sounds the same. I love it. Each member in our club can claim 3 personal spots. My membership and my wifes membership give us 6. But we only have 5 because we are as busy as we need to be and seeing plenty of deer with those.
When I got in the club 7 years ago and my young kids in mind I asked my sponsor "what about this spot?" It was right at a club gate, about an acre and a half of broomstraw, briars, and 5 to 10 ft sweetgum clusters.
He asked why in the heck would you want this crappy area??!!
But I invisioned an easy access area, in and out with young kids.
Anyway we worked hard and cleaned all that up and plowed and plowed and limed and grew food plot, built a box stand and now it's one of the best spots on the club! I bring my kids there and 9 times outta 10 we're gonna see deer 30 min before and until dark. My 10 year old even got his 1st 8 pt from there this past Nov.
I like private areas for reasons like this.
So if I joined that club as a new member & PAYIED my money I couldn’t hunt it opening weekend ?
I didn’t have time to go up there.... I was fishing ? over the summer.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
So if I joined that club as a new member & PAYIED my money I couldn’t hunt it opening weekend ?
I forgot. You can hunt my lean up I put up.
Could you strap it to the tree when there.
Thanks

TomC

I keep feeders running all yr on my spots,have mineral sites and keep plots planted. How would you like a member that pays membership,does bare minimum work around club and is there only to kill deer hunts your spots while your not there?

You have one outlook on what hunting "is" and a lot of us take a different outlook on what hunting "is". Different strokes for different folks which is fine. I get a lot more satisfaction of going out and learning 100% of a property inside and out and having options. First come first serve pin in pin out. If someone is in the spot I had planned to go I have a plan b, a plan c, and maybe a few other ideas. A little more of an old school approach and definition of what hunting "IS" that doesn't rely on feeders, corn piles and mineral blocks and less focused on the "kill" as a determination of ones success. If it bothers you that someone hunts / kills something in an area that you have put a lot of effort into then maybe you should reexamine your priorities and take a different approach to hunting. You might find it a more satisfying in the long run, but you have to take your ego out of play to enjoy this approach.

transfixer

On our lease you are allowed to pick one spot and call it primary if you want to ,, off limits to others if you so choose, you can put up other stands if you want , but if you don't hunt those , then anyone else can.

We are a small group, on only 366acres, but I don't see how it would work if it were first come first serve, because guys that get there on Friday afternoon would claim the best spots, and those that came Saturday morning would be out of luck, so we've done it the way we have for a very long time, and its not been a problem, deer habits change from time to time, best stands years ago aren't necessarily best stands now. Our new guys always end up seeing deer,

One problem we've recently run into is a member who was able to hunt during the week rambled all over the property, hunting everywhere, basically making his presence known to the deer all over the property, so there were virtually no undisturbed areas ,,, that member will not be renewed this year ! That is a problem I see if you don't allow members to have primary areas.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
You have one outlook on what hunting "is" and a lot of us take a different outlook on what hunting "is". Different strokes for different folks which is fine. I get a lot more satisfaction of going out and learning 100% of a property inside and out and having options. First come first serve pin in pin out. If someone is in the spot I had planned to go I have a plan b, a plan c, and maybe a few other ideas. A little more of an old school approach and definition of what hunting "IS" that doesn't rely on feeders, corn piles and mineral blocks and less focused on the "kill" as a determination of ones success. If it bothers you that someone hunts / kills something in an area that you have put a lot of effort into then maybe you should reexamine your priorities and take a different approach to hunting. You might find it a more satisfying in the long run, but you have to take your ego out of play to enjoy this approach.
I don’t think he has a ego.
I think he has
the club he likes.
And you should find a like minded area. Club to hunt.
Different strokes for different folks !

I wish both of y’all luck.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
One problem we've recently run into is a member who was able to hunt during the week rambled all over the property, hunting everywhere, basically making his presence known to the deer all over the property, so there were virtually no undisturbed areas ,,, that member will not be renewed this year ! That is a problem I see if you don't allow members to have primary areas.

We have had that happen too. They are no longer with us.
I say. Don’t let your good time ruin mine. !!

TomC

If members don't follow the rules, whatever the rules are then they don't return the following year............you did the right thing. But I can assure you that private areas are not necessary to stop this type of issue.

transfixer

If members don't follow the rules, whatever the rules are then they don't return the following year............you did the right thing. But I can assure you that private areas are not necessary to stop this type of issue.

We've had the "primary area" thing ever since we've had the club, and this is our 40th year operating as a club, the aforementioned member just ignored the rules, but my point was if you don't allow members to have designated areas, then the first come first serve thing becomes an issue for those guys whose time is limited, we've tried to make it so the guy who has a lot of family obligations can come to the club on a Sat afternoon and know that no one has been walking around within 200yds of his stand, I understand how the other way can work if you have a group that all hunts in a similar fashion, but finding a group of guys that hunt the same way is hard to do, especially over a period of years.

Just as some guys on here believe in strict scent control, wear rubber boots and special clothes, and try to keep human scent to a minimum around their hunting area, there are other guys who hunt in the same blue jeans and shirt they wore to the woods, and probably didn't shower before they left work to go to the club, So we've tried to accommodate a variety of thinking. I put a lot of work into a tower stand for myself, a lot of expense too, it allows me to be comfortable for long periods of time while hunting in virtually any weather, while I do let a few guys hunt it when I'm not there, I don't feel it fair for the guy who never builds any stands, or only owns a climber to be able to hunt my stand simply because he got to the club before I did ? We've always had members who contribute more to the club, because they can or have the time, and those who simply don't have the time to spend at the lease due to family obligations, but nonetheless are good members who cause no trouble and pay their dues.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?

What the heck are you talking about???
If you joined my club I was talkin about you could hunt whenever you want. And no one else could hunt your spot when you were fishin.
Only exception is for you personally we'd make a new rule that you had to cook beans and burgers and cut the grass at camp openin week of turkey season. That way I could have a chance to get ahead of you for turkey challenge!!!!! Ahhhh HA ha ha ha

Mark K

Banned
For some it’s not about killing them all, just a certain one. If I put in the work of maximizing my area for success, why would I want someone else who’s done nothing but show up at hunting season to hunt my stands? Sounds like you’re applying welfare to hunting, ego has nothing to do with it. I work for what I want.
I have a buddy that puts in a LOT of time and effort on his place to grow some big deer. I will not hunt with him during deer season for the simple fact I had no part in the process if I happed to kill a PY or BC. Now when it comes to turkeys, I’ll shoot a limit off his property and he knows it, lol!

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Your right about the big deer coming from the same areas every yr. This past yr I could have picked that spot where there are big deer killed every yr but instead I picked two spots that I could build my own lil honey hole. The big buck spot was taken by a new member and there was actually three bucks taken out of that stand this past yr

Yes I've noticed this also over the years. But in November we see big bucks all over and at any odd time

TomC

The OP needs to figure out what type of hunting is right for him. Either approach is FINE but distinctly different. He might actually enjoy being on a club where he has total access, can take a different approach to hunting and where the other members don’t care if he hunts and kills deer (EVEN BIG DEER) in areas where they’ve put in a lot of work, and members who enjoy seeing others succeed even at the expense of their efforts. It’s obvious that most of us have already made the choice. Always interesting to see each sides justification. Choice is a good thing!!

Last edited:

shdw633

The OP needs to figure out what type of hunting is right for him. Either approach is FINE but distinctly different. He might actually enjoy being on a club where he has total access, can take a different approach to hunting and where the other members don’t care if he hunts and kills deer (EVEN BIG DEER) in areas where they’ve put in a lot of work, and members who enjoy seeing others succeed even at the expense of their efforts. It’s obvious that most of us have already made the choice. Always interesting to see each sides justification. Choice is a good thing!!

Just curious if you are one of those hunters that put in a lot of time and effort to improve an area with foodplots, feeding or planting natural browse or are you one of those hunters that don't have the time for all that and just show up, walk all over the property in the fall and then starts hunting? I can assure you that most of the hunters out there that put in a lot of time, money and energy to improve a hunting area do get miffed if someone who does nothing for the property just shows up, hunts their stand and kills a big deer.

TomC

Shdw633……...what you fail to realize is that some of us actually enjoy the process and the effort involved (which is ALOT) of learning a piece of property inside and out and then having access to the entirety of the property. This is as much a part of the hunting process to us as you putting all your effort into one area. And as shocking as it may sound some of us could care less if others hunt areas we have put a lot of effort into whether they be food plots or whatever. Having been around hunters for many a decade I fully realize this is a concept that will be hard for many to grasp. Every time I drive through the gate I have multiple options due to the immense effort I’ve put in to learn the property. Just a different type of hunting than you prefer, one not necessarily better than the other…...just a different type of hunting. Your approach is best suited for clubs with “private areas” and my approach is best suited for pin in pin out. The OP will eventually figure out how he likes to hunt and fortunately there are clubs that cater to both approaches.

shdw633

Shdw633……...what you fail to realize is that some of us actually enjoy the process and the effort involved (which is ALOT) of learning a piece of property inside and out and then having access to the entirety of the property. This is as much a part of the hunting process to us as you putting all your effort into one area. And as shocking as it may sound some of us could care less if others hunt areas we have put a lot of effort into whether they be food plots or whatever. Having been around hunters for many a decade I fully realize this is a concept that will be hard for many to grasp. Every time I drive through the gate I have multiple options due to the immense effort I’ve put in to learn the property. Just a different type of hunting than you prefer, one not necessarily better than the other…...just a different type of hunting. Your approach is best suited for clubs with “private areas” and my approach is best suited for pin in pin out. The OP will eventually figure out how he likes to hunt and fortunately there are clubs that cater to both approaches.

I didn't ask you that. Please re-read my post and then answer what type of hunter you are. All hunters scour the property looking for good areas to hunt regardless of whether they improve their areas or not, but some go farther to improve the areas while others just take advantage of those areas or areas which surround them. I have been hunting for nearly half a century and seen both kinds and have been both kinds, I am simply asking which kind are you? Do you improve what you find or just hunt when the season arrives?

TomC

I think the OP has more than adequate feedback to determine if private area clubs are or are not for him. Not in the mood to address questions that have been thoroughly answered in previous posts. Good day!

sghoghunter

First off the feeders and minerals are for the deer and hogs not for me. I keep them year round instead of pouring a bag out Friday afternoon to hunt over the weekend. Second off I don't have to look all over the property to find a perfect spot instead I can take a crappy spot and make it perfect. Third I don't mind people killing deer off the land However I do have a problem with someone that turns no hands to better anything

Down4Count

We have it to where you can have one honey hole. That honey hole is roughly 300 acres, but if you choose to have a honey hole you can only hunt that spot and must keep it for a min of 2 weeks "that's the only place you can hunt". If you do not have a honey hole you are free to hunt anywhere you please. We use a pin in system first come first serve, it works great for us, but we also only have 20 members on 4500 acres.

GottaGetOutdoors

All our leases are no reserve areas, lease-owned stands, and first-come-first-served at the time of the hunt. Down4Count and others seem to have made a reserve area system work. My gut tells me that, for every example where a reserve area system works, there may be 10 clubs failing at it. I can see how reserve areas could lead to competition among members rather than cooperation.

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
All our leases are no reserve areas, lease-owned stands, and first-come-first-served at the time of the hunt. Down4Count and others seem to have made a reserve area system work. My gut tells me that, for every example where a reserve area system works, there may be 10 clubs failing at it. I can see how reserve areas could lead to competition among members rather than cooperation.
I see the competition the other way around. I see 2 or 3 at your place thinking somewhere is prime tring to race to it. ?

Mine I just mosey on over there. No cares no troubles.
No one been there. ?