On Your Hunting Lease..

shdw633

I see the competition the other way around. I see 2 or 3 at your place thinking somewhere is prime tring to race to it. ?

Mine I just mosey on over there. No cares no troubles.
No one been there. ?

Same here but that being said we are a 2000 acre lease with 10 members. We have now known each other for nearly 10 years and there is a great deal of respect for one another so it's not that hard to stay out of each others way in that regards. I would imagine that smaller leases or leases with smaller acres per man might be a bigger issue than ours.

GottaGetOutdoors

Quite the opposite. We have strong cooperation and no competition among members. My leases average roughly 300 acres for every member. Stands and food plots are strategically placed throughout. Cellular trail cameras and traditional SD cameras pics are shared equally with all members. Hunting pressure is low. We seldom have more than 2 persons on a lease at the same time.

If one member has a close encounter with a shooter buck and wants to hunt him again in a few days, other members will hunt elsewhere and leave that area alone out of respect. And when a member kills a deer/gobbler/hog, our fellow members celebrate right along with him/her. That is no coincidence. We screen for members with that kind of cooperative nature.

Last edited:

j_seph

We do private areas. I ain't about to tell another hunter who spends $1000 on a tower stand, many hours putting it up, clearing areas for foodplots, maintaining a foodplot, buying the seed and investing a good chunk of time and money into it that he has to let someone else hunt it first come first serve.
Now if everyone wants to go in together and buy stands or furnish stands and do all the work together and invest per say as a whole then so be it. Then again if you have your private area, you can move around some to adjust to what the deer are doing through the season and know that someone else has not been in there busting them out.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Quite the opposite. We have strong cooperation and no competition among members. My leases average roughly 300 acres for every member. Stands and food plots are strategically placed throughout. Cellular trail cameras and traditional SD cameras pics are shared equally with all members. Hunting pressure is low. We seldom have more than 2 persons on a lease at the same time.

If one member has a close encounter with a shooter buck and wants to hunt him again in a few days, other members will hunt elsewhere and leave that area alone out of respect. And when a member kills a deer/gobbler/hog, our fellow members celebrate right along with him/her. That is no coincidence. We screen for members with that kind of cooperative nature.
Can I put a feeder in your place and make a small food plot. Maybe a mineral lick.
Not claim it just have several like that.

GottaGetOutdoors

No. Our food plots, feeders, and minerals are prescribed in a detailed wildlife management plan prepared by a Certified Wildlife Biologist (me) with input from members. Once the plan is in place, each member rolls up the sleeves and helps implement those prescribed wildlife management practices in a coordinated fashion. This keeps everyone on the same page. As the saying goes, the tide rises for every boat in the harbor.

buckshed

We have 1000 acres with 10 people family and friends are our members..we have numerous stands to hunt so we never have a problem..just ask everyone to check in and out by group text..we never have more than 5 members even on weekends..everyone required to work 2 work days before season or pay 100 dollars for each one missed...I hPpen to have the most time available so I do most of the work..but I enjoy it and as long as a member is willing to work and be courteous, it all seems to work out..I never liked private areas for our club...I always wondered what people did if their"private area" had a bad wind to hunt every weekend they came to hunt.

"In every 100 Acres or so there are maybe 4 or 5 Sweet Spots , The rest is just blind luck.
If you have Reserve Spots don't the longest running Members kinda have them spots as personal areas ?
Do the new Members have to take the Left overs..? "

To start with, all stands are club stands, and we have a "pin in" board. As a club member you are required to put two stands in the club and add them to the board.
We have several food plots, and a few new club members thought that if "they" built the food plots that "nobody" could hunt them. I had to make them "see the light".

For a "meet in the middle" I told them they could leave their pin on their food plot, however, if they did that, they better be sitting on that food plot that day and any other day they were in the club.

As far as "sweet spots" , myself have went to areas in my property that no other club member had stands in because " they were not any good" or "I've never seen any deer there" or any other reason they could think of, and have killed several mountable 130" plus bucks where no other club member could or would hunt.

So, I really don't buy into the sweet spot theory. If there are does in there, there are bucks in there.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
No. Our food plots, feeders, and minerals are prescribed in a detailed wildlife management plan prepared by a Certified Wildlife Biologist (me) with input from members. Once the plan is in place, each member rolls up the sleeves and helps implement those prescribed wildlife management practices in a coordinated fashion. This keeps everyone on the same page. As the saying goes, the tide rises for every boat in the harbor.
Sounds like a dictatorship in deerhunting 101.

No wonder I have more likes under my post.
May the tide rise and wish you smooth sailing my friend.
Good luck with your endeavors.

This is just deee hunting where we are. No soil test just plant and fertilizer with lime. Feeder with some protein and corn. Stand off to the side. Shoot a deer ?
And by the way we all are happy for the successful hunter.
All my are returning and folks looking to join.
K

GottaGetOutdoors

Congratulations. You won 1st place in a contest nobody is having.

Enjoy managing your land your way. There is room for lots of management approaches. I don't criticize yours. You might consider showing the same courtesy in return. It has been my experience that the way to have good neighbors is to first be a good neighbor. Drop by if travels bring you to Wilkes County. Coffee is on me.

Last edited:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member

Enjoy managing your land your way. There is room for lots of management approaches. I don't criticize yours. You might consider showing the same courtesy in return. It has been my experience that the way to have good neighbors is to first be a good neighbor. Drop by if travels bring you to Wilkes County. Coffee is on me.
I did. It just got me when you started saying disgruntled hunters.
Sorry. You did do a little negative in some contents.
We where just say what we did.

I won !!!

JK ???

I said enjoy your way.
I enjoy reading your post.
Happy sailing.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I tried the pin in pin out on 7500 acres with 15 members. That was a disaster and will never do it again. I will stick to the private area clubs. I can feed them and I will pull them in for the rut.

GottaGetOutdoors

Beagler, it sounds like you found a system that works for your group. I was never a fan of the pin in/out system either. I much prefer a log book where each member signs in/out for every hunt. It creates a permanent record so all members can see what stands have been hunted and by whom. When a member shows up to hunt, it helps identify stands that have not been hunted recently.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
We do private areas. I ain't about to tell another hunter who spends $1000 on a tower stand, many hours putting it up, clearing areas for foodplots, maintaining a foodplot, buying the seed and investing a good chunk of time and money into it that he has to let someone else hunt it first come first serve.
Now if everyone wants to go in together and buy stands or furnish stands and do all the work together and invest per say as a whole then so be it. Then again if you have your private area, you can move around some to adjust to what the deer are doing through the season and know that someone else has not been in there busting them out.

Now this is us in 2 ways.
We have personal spots, invest $ in box stands. food plot expenses and so on. And I don't have to let anybody hunt there.
But what happens on our lease is we are all either family, friends or have become friends on the club. And we all end up helping eachother anyway even though we don't even have to.

sea trout

Oh wow you're in Wilkes??? We are too! We might be close, Wilkes co. is pretty big though.
You can stop at our camp and the beer is on me.

sea trout

Sounds like a dictatorship in deerhunting 101.

No wonder I have more likes under my post.
May the tide rise and wish you smooth sailing my friend.
Good luck with your endeavors.

This is just deee hunting where we are. No soil test just plant and fertilizer with lime. Feeder with some protein and corn. Stand off to the side. Shoot a deer ?
And by the way we all are happy for the successful hunter.
All my are returning and folks looking to join.
K

I do like your post a lot!!! You make common sense!!
But mostly I like your post so you'll like that gobbler with a 10 and 999/1000ths beard

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I agree will all posts above this.
Price? I can work and hunt next to any number of hunters any number of ways and with any number of rules after that.
Deer move ya know. Just put me on the river sooner or later once in a while. GEEZ!
More or less if you’ve invested tons of money over there show me and I’ll go somewhere else and do the same thing if possible and hopefully we invite each other in occasionally.
If it’s $1500 a year forget it.
If you want me to hold the plow I will.
I’d rather buy a new rifle and scope or work my tail to the bone instead of outrageous dues in the beginning.
After years of clubs and years of public land. I can hunt with anybody if the price per acre seems reasonable for what is there. Pictures are not worth $1000 to me. Show me.
I conform.