One field is a winner!

oppthepop

This one little field has never let me down!

Attachments

• arrowhead1.JPG
    arrowhead1.JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 442
  • arrowhead2.JPG
    arrowhead2.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 443
  • arrowhead3.JPG
    arrowhead3.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 441
  • arrowhead4.JPG
    arrowhead4.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 438

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice finds. That crystal quartz Palmer is killer.

oppthepop

Hey NC Hillbilly - what is the larger one in the last picture? A knife maybe? Seems quite large for an arrow point.

MIG

Hey NC Hillbilly - what is the larger one in the last picture? A knife maybe? Seems quite large for an arrow point.

Not trying to speak for Hillbilly here: None of those appear to be true arrow points. Although a couple might be smaller in size, they're far too old and predate the bow by several thousand years - that Palmer Hillbilly mentioned is early Archaic and around "9000ish" years old, give or take. It probably tipped an atlatl dart. The larger point you asked about is mid-late archaic and probably around 3500-6000 years old (my best guess). It well could have been used as a knife blade or it could have been the business end of a spear.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Not trying to speak for Hillbilly here: None of those appear to be true arrow points. Although a couple might be smaller in size, they're far too old and predate the bow by several thousand years - that Palmer Hillbilly mentioned is early Archaic and around "9000ish" years old, give or take. It probably tipped an atlatl dart. The larger point you asked about is mid-late archaic and probably around 3500-6000 years old (my best guess). It well could have been used as a knife blade or it could have been the business end of a spear.

Pretty much what he said. I'd probably call it a Ledbetter or something related. Mid-late Archaic knife or dart point. I'd guess knife, because that one side seems to have been used and resharpened more than the other.