Ongoing Pizza Struggle

HughW

Thread starter #1
Folks,

I keep seeking Pizza niravana with the BGE.

Yesterday I came close. The toppings were great; but I am still toasting the crust too much. Next weekend it is back to the rock quarry!

Hugh

Attachments

beretta

What is the temperature you are cooking at? I keep mine at 500. I also use a infrared thermometer to check the temperature of the pizza stone. I put my pizza on when it's about 475. I will check the crust every few minutes and spin it so that it is cooked evenly.

Try using a warm stone. Let it heat up and pull it off to cool a little. Toss the pizza on and put it back on. I hope this help and I and guessing your crust is more done than you like.

Contrary to all the expert advice on the web that you have to cook your pizza on the kamado at 1,200*-5,000* or so, I have found that it works MUCH better to cook it at around 400-450*, myself.

Attachments

mikep

I get the same results as hillbilly. Anything over 450 seems to get too hot. Maybe those temps are better for thinner pizzas.

Paymaster

Q Cookin, Fly Tyin, Mod
Yeah I am not totally satisfied either. But I love experiment'n. I still cook above 500* but I also check it often and turn often as well. I just like how it puffs up at high heat, but the difference between great and messed up can be just seconds.

Contrary to all the expert advice on the web that you have to cook your pizza on the kamado at 1,200*-5,000* or so, I have found that it works MUCH better to cook it at around 400-450*, myself.
What he said. ^ 450 is a God's plenty. Mine are done perfect in 13 minutes.

dwhee87

This has been a challenge for me as well. Appreciate the tips here.

To each his own I guess. I prefer a little charring on the crust, gives it that authentic brick oven taste. I think Antico Pizza does this perfectly, if I could replicate their pizza I would be in heaven.

:cheers: