Opening Day Success

Bow Only

Who has had a lot of success on opening day of gun season? I'm interested in hearing some of your tactics. Please email me bowonlyoutdoors@aol.com if you have had success in the past and have a few nice pictures to back it up. I'll also need a phone number and will be giving you a call before this weekend.
Thanks,
Matt

Jeff Phillips

Matt - I had a tree in Taliferro County that I was sucessful 7 out of 10 opening mornings on! The best buck was on opening morning of 1990 when I got a 120 class 10 point with 2 stickers, it was before we were managing for better bucks. I took Billy Don over to that thicket the weekend before the opener and jumped the buck, I told him I'd be back in camp by 8:30 opening morning with that deer! I was 7 minutes late!

I killed a bunch of spikes to 6's off that tree. It's now plywood :mad: Everone in the club called it the "President's Tree" and would not hunt it without my permission, even though ALL stands were open "1st come, 1st serve".

All I have for pics from those days are Polaroids. I don't know if that will help you or not.

I have also killed a couple of good 8 points on some public land up in Tenn. on opening morning.

Last edited:

Al33

Hey Jeff,

I know ya still got the racks and mounts 'cause i saw 'em. :clap:

Just take some pic's of them. BO prolly don't want no gut pile pics anyway. :bounce:

Al