Opening weekend Bears

tree cutter 08

No kills but had a good time. Me and my 9yr old son slipped around Saturday morning. Got within 6 yards of one and he was drawed back but couldn't get a clear shot. I slung a arrow at about 30 yards but my arrow was deflected by a limb. Got on another that was in a tree but when he came down he stayed just out of bow range. It was hot! We need some cooler weather.

No kills but had a good time. Me and my 9yr old son slipped around Saturday morning. Got within 6 yards of one and he was drawed back but couldn't get a clear shot. I slung a arrow at about 30 yards but my arrow was deflected by a limb. Got on another that was in a tree but when he came down he stayed just out of bow range. It was hot! We need some cooler weather.

Ok. How long were you in before you saw your first bear? I had a trip planned to cohutta this weekend that had to be postponed. I was afraid that I was missing all the fun. I’m glad you and your son had a good time. I’d still like to get up there before gun season.

Buckman18

I shot at 2 hogs but no bacon for breakfast tomorrow. Surprisingly didn’t see any bears.

twincedargap

Sat 10:30 am - large bear crossed FS road below me. 630 pm small legal bear feeds to w/in 12 yds but I elected to pass on him. Sun - got skunked and wet.

ddd-shooter

Sat. eve had a small bear in the laurel thicket walking out in the dark. I think we scared each other. Lol They should be moving more this year for sure.

Last edited:

Possum

Banned
Me and wife walked up on a big momma bear with a cub

CornStalker

Sounds like everyone is seeing bears. Good stuff! Hoping to see some harvest pics in the weeks to come...

Buckman18

I saw some........I missed some......I suck

I suck too. I shot 2 hogs, found neither. Hit one in the shield and don't think i got penetration with the 2.3inch rage. Hit another behind the shoulder but very low. arrow was bloody but no blood trail. Killer Kyle and I were hunting together so I can't even tell a tale to make me sound better. :confused:

humdandy

Banned
Ended up seeing 10 bears..........had 5 very close encounters........all within 20 yards......

Had a cub at 5 yards from me!! Had a nice boar at 10 yards.

Ghost G

Sunday I saw 2 cubs within 7 yards. I started to sweat a little not knowing where Momma was at. Looked further up hill only to find cub #3. Shortly after I located Momma moving away at about 25 yards.
Did anyone have any luck with Bears this weekend? Any Bear stories?

Killer Kyle

I suck too. I shot 2 hogs, found neither. Hit one in the shield and don't think i got penetration with the 2.3inch rage. Hit another behind the shoulder but very low. arrow was bloody but no blood trail. Killer Kyle and I were hunting together so I can't even tell a tale to make me sound better. :confused:
I meant to double knotch your shirt tail but forgot!

i saw a nice sized bear on Friday afternoon while hiking into where i planned to hunt Saturday. Thought about doubling back and trying to get on him Saturday morning, but someone had a trail bushwacked and marked with enough orange flagging to look like a DOT survey crew had been through. It was headed straight to where the bear was feeding, so I steered clear out of respect for other hunters....and to CMA in case there was some sort of attractant. This is my first year bear hunting and I had no desire to get into a less than ideal situation with another hunter or the law. Overall, it was a great weekend. I found a ton of sign in an area that I had never stepped foot, saw no other hunters, and found a place that I very much plan to return to in the future if i can find someone to tag along. (My partner had never backpack hunted, and doesn't plan on going back)

had a barely legal bear within 15 yards opening morning that got chased off by another male that was about 175-200lbs. I patiently waited for a clear shot, which I missed at 40 yards. Went this past Saturday morning, and had a bear within 20 yards before daylight, that hung around until just after first light...I thought he was too small when it was dark, but realized later that he may have gone 150-175. I'm not at all a great judge of them. almost stepped on a timber rattler on the way out this weekend. Here's to hoping one walks out in the next couple or so hours!