Opinions on new Challenge rules (Buck Scoring)

Which method of buck scoring do you prefer?

• The current rules ( 5 pts. per tine + spread + longest tine)

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Proposed (1 pt. per tine + 1.5 per inch of spread + longest tine on each side)

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BowChilling

This will be one of three polls I post on potential new rules for next year.

This year bucks were scored as follows:
50 points for the animal + 5 points for each antler point over 1 inch + measurement of widest outside spread + length of longest tine.
Example: an 8 point buck with an outside spread of 14" and longest tine measuring 8" will score 112 points.
Deer = 50
8 X 5 = 40
14 outside spread = 14
8 longest tine = 8
____

The proposal for changing the buck scoring is:
75 points for the animal + 1 points for each antler point over 1 inch + 1.5 X measurement of widest outside spread + length of longest tine on each side of rack.
Example: an 8 point buck with an outside spread of 14" and longest tine measuring 8" on left beam and 8" on the right beam will score 120 points.
Deer = 75
8 X 1 = 8
14 outside spread = 14 X 1.5 = 21
8 longest tine left beam = 8
8 longest tine left beam = 8
____

This would reward bigger framed bucks over small bucks with kickers on the bases. It would also cut back on hurt feelings when the judges don't think a point makes 1"!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
What if u have a big narrow framed buck that's mature. Just 14 inches wide.
I like the old way. Current.

BowChilling

What if u have a big narrow framed buck that's mature. Just 14 inches wide.
I like the old way. Current.

He would get 21 points for spread. Whereas a 17 inch buck would get 25.5 points. Less difference than a mature 8 with the current scoring that gets 40 points compared to a dink 9 that gets 45!

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
He would get 21 points for spread. Whereas a 17 inch buck would get 25.5 points. Less difference than a mature 8 with the current scoring that gets 40 points compared to a dink 9 that gets 45!

Sence I entered I have yet to kill a big buck. So do what you think is best for when I do.
Thanks k
:)

Kris87

New method for me. That way we don't have to read about all the fellas that passed mature deer because they didn't have a lot of points. :D

Plus dinks might get a pass.

BowanaLee

:rofl:

Bowhunter Matt

I vote the current way. I think the suggested new way would cause a lot of people not to join in on the fun. the current way gives more people a chance to compete or stay close in the points.

BowChilling

Here is a prime example of the difference the new scoring would make.

By the old rules the 8 point Killed by HouseGeorgia1 scored 114 points and Bowanna's 10 point scored 122.21

Under the new scoring system the HouseGeorgia1 buck would score 122.5 and Bowanna's buck 118.72.

Looking at the two deer which system seems fair?

Attachments

• BCE1.jpg
    BCE1.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 144
  • BCE2.jpg
    BCE2.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 146

BlackEagle

Banned
I vote new system. Big bucks should be rewarded. Basket rack 12 pointers should not be on the same level as big heavy mature 8 pointers.

Don't see why anyone wouldn't join because the rules change.

mickyu

I like your new way. We gotta get you a hobby buddy, you got too much time on your hands. Where do you come up with this stuff? I bet Kris87 had something to do with it facepalm:

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Here is a prime example of the difference the new scoring would make.

By the old rules the 8 point Killed by HouseGeorgia1 scored 114 points and Bowanna's 10 point scored 122.21

Under the new scoring system the HouseGeorgia1 buck would score 122.5 and Bowanna's buck 118.72.

Looking at the two deer which system seems fair?
Lee is smiling. Lols.

Looks good to me the new way. Any thing to make lee come in 3rd. :)

BowanaLee

It wont change a thing. The guys on the north side will still win. At least counting kickers, the people with average property's will have a chance to stay close. Your assuring they win. Its kinda like a wild card.
Don't get me mad or I'll come out of retirement and assure Billys team never places. :D

BowanaLee

Plus, thats a deceiving picture. Its way out in front of the hunter. Mine is behind me. The tine length and spread weren't much different. (15 1/2-5) vs (17-7) one just had more points.

Last edited:

BowChilling

I like your new way. We gotta get you a hobby buddy, you got too much time on your hands. Where do you come up with this stuff? I bet Kris87 had something to do with it facepalm:

Heck this is what makes it fun. Throwing out new ideas and listening to the crying!:cheers: